Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: Advantage that extends elixir and potion durations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'm not sure I like using ATR as it's so expensive (is it really worth 20 points to double a potion's duration over just buying a second potion?).

However the only other way I can think of doing this is by bending Signature Gear/Gizmos into a pretzel (highest cost potion as Sig Gear, times 5 for "always has at least one", times 10 for "every type of potion")... and it ends up being way more expensive... or going Modular and that's waaaaay to fiddly... so... c'est la vie.
My unscientific WAG was that the ability seemed roughly worth 5-10 points, mostly for the occasional extension of the duration of some exotic potion not usually available for sale.

In terms of savings on the common potions they use, the effective extra Income is probably less than 1 point of Independent Income at the PCs Wealth levels. In terms of Encumbrance savings and convenience, a point or two of Payload or Gizmo.

Quote:
Or just treat it as a Feature of the Advantage (ATR, Time Effecting +0%). I agree, overall the benes outweigh the negs.
Doubling durations for beneficial and negative effects of ingested Afflictions is indisputably a net benefit. On the other hand, the ability to choose to have this only apply for positive effects is clearly much more valuable than the alternative.

As the PC is specifically asking about the ability in regard to an elixir which has major negative side-effects in addition to the +4 Per and vampire senses it grants, I think I would like there to be a clear price difference, as the PC is effectively doubling the duration of influence or potential control by a dangerous, blood-sucking monster, who for all that she's an absolute stunner and seemingly has a sympathetic backstory, still survives by drinking human blood and draining their life energy, not to mention the vampire herself being enslaved by a necromancer / opium den mistress / major organised crime figure.

Quote:
But what if they only had the Flaw, not the Advantage (call it a Curse or some such)?
It seems to be a Suspectablity of a sorts, increasing the duration of non-damaging Afflictions in ingested forms rather than reducing resistance rolls or increasing damage.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
My unscientific WAG was that the ability seemed roughly worth 5-10 points, mostly for the occasional extension of the duration of some exotic potion not usually available for sale.
I like 10 points. If it doubles Effect* as well as Duration I can easily see bumping it up to 20 (or even 30) points.

* Double bene from Potions of Agility, Strength, Wisdom, Healing etc.

Quote:
In terms of savings on the common potions they use, the effective extra Income is probably less than 1 point of Independent Income at the PCs Wealth levels. In terms of Encumbrance savings and convenience, a point or two of Payload or Gizmo.
Agreed. I've even toyed with the idea of a Gixmo based Character (stolen shamelessly from Ninjas) who cares a 'Magical Handy Backpack/Potion Belt/Pouches filled with whatever he needs' (essentially you buy gear and "store them it town" and then just pull whatever you need during the adventure from your pack/potion belt/pouches).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

This seems a lot like the Better (Gear) perk. Usually that lets you buy equipment with about 50% added value but I think it would be fair to let it give you about 50% more use out of standard gear.

Tags
alchemy, kromm replies, potions