Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Ransom

Default Casting Continual Light On Living Targets

Is it allowed?

Last edited by Ransom; 03-20-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Casting Continual Light On Living Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
For reasons that aren't important here, one of my players wants to cast Continual Light targeting part of a person's body, calling this "a small part of a larger object". The target would prefer this didn't happen. Is it valid to target a living being with this spell, and if so, does an unwilling target get to resist in any way? I am interested in both what the rules actually state as well as suggested house rulings.
My personal ruling would be the same as for any spell that targets an "object" - if it has a Will score, it isn't one and the spell automatically fails.

Spells that are supposed to work on both objects and living targets are usually worded as affecting a "subject", and often distinguish by giving living or animate ones resistance rolls, something I'd extend to just about any spell that failed to mention it as well - spells you can cast on an unwilling target automatically are no more common than attacks you can launch that have no defense rolls. That costs extra, a *lot* extra, if it's possible at all. But I don't think the rules actually ever say explicitly either way.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
But I don't think the rules actually ever say explicitly either way.
They don't. Sense Emotion, for example, is not a Resisted spell, and isn't even an Information spell. Any wizard who also knows Sense Foes can cast it with no other prerequisites. There is apparently no defense against it except Counterspell, Dispel Magic, and Hide Thoughts.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

"Object" means what it usually means in GURPS. It's used as an antonym of nouns like "being," "creature," "entity," "individual," and "person" in the context of spells. All of the above – and more – can mean "subject" in that context, but "object" means an inanimate artifact, article, item, or thing. Continual Light cannot be cast on living targets.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
They don't. Sense Emotion, for example, is not a Resisted spell, and isn't even an Information spell. Any wizard who also knows Sense Foes can cast it with no other prerequisites. There is apparently no defense against it except Counterspell, Dispel Magic, and Hide Thoughts.
That's more of an edge case though. It's arguable that Sense Emotion isn't cast on a target at all but on the caster - emotions are one of those things GURPS metaphysics apparently assumes are displayed in you aura, which is a potentially visible objective phenomenon. The rules aren't terribly consistent about this sort of thing, probably because there is no reality to reality check, but a spell or power for sensing emotions is arguably no more acting on "you" than Darkvision is when it allows the caster to see you in the dark.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
"Object" means what it usually means in GURPS. It's used as an antonym of nouns like "being," "creature," "entity," "individual," and "person" in the context of spells. All of the above – and more – can mean "subject" in that context, but "object" means an inanimate artifact, article, item, or thing. Continual Light cannot be cast on living targets.
Casting it on someone's nightvision goggles is hilarious, though.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Polkageist

I am highly disappointed at the inability to make glowing toads.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
I am highly disappointed at the inability to make glowing toads.
You can make glowing toads. Just not with this spell. I'm pretty sure Bio-tech has spells that will do the job.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
That's more of an edge case though. It's arguable that Sense Emotion isn't cast on a target at all but on the caster
Then it would be an Information spell. It's a Regular spell, and you have to choose a subject and apply range penalties.

But if Kromm says that the term object excludes living beings, go with that. It's mostly supported by Chapter 5 of the Basic Set, with one exception: the Apportation spell "lets the caster move physical objects without touching them," but among the "objects" you can move are living beings, who can resist with Will.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Stormcrow

Now I'm gonna make a robot toad wizard who casts Continual Light on one of its own spare parts and then installs that part. :P