Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/103: Setbacks

For each step forward
My quest forced me two steps back
So I turned around
— Sir Rhogar
As much as we wince and complain when the GM throws a monkey wrench into our plans, we know that any heroic adventure is defined by those challenges and complications. Without struggle, our campaigns would just be a series of simple errands, and preventing that is the goal of Pyramid #3/103: Setbacks. Frustrate and delight your players with an onslaught of new issues to overcome, such as:
  • Life as a hero is stressful. Combat, terrifying situations, personal issues -- it all takes a toll over time, and if you're not careful, it may leave you Mad as Bones. Christopher R. Rice adapts the Long-Term Fatigue rules from GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders into a system for tracking Stability Points, a sort of "mental fatigue" or "sanity track," via a new system that works great with either the basic rules or the advanced ones from GURPS Horror.

• Any horror investigator or GURPS Monster Hunters champion smart enough to survive a few missions knows that you can't focus exclusively on the Big Bad -- not unless you want to be stabbed in the back by the Monsters' Minions. Michele Armellini discusses 16 different types of underlings and how to use them, with a full sample character for each, loaded with gear and ready to use.

• Because interstellar travel is complex and dangerous, the craft of GURPS Spaceships have many opportunities for Spaceship Malfunctions. But in this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver replaces the existing "-X to HT until repaired" rules with nine pages of detailed and flavorful mishap tables, resulting in anything from jammed elevators to antimatter containment faults.

• Anyone who's read Matt Riggsby's just-released GURPS Hot Spots: The Silk Road knows how exciting the Tarim Basin was up until the Tang dynasty . . . but the action didn't stop there! Designer's Notes: The Silk Road continues the timeline, from Mongol hordes to Cold War proxy fighting, and also presents one realistic and three fantastical creatures befitting any Seidenstraße campaign.

• But we didn't stop there with our love for the Silk Road. Enjoy the poster-sized, full-color, detailed map of historic Central Asia -- suitable for printing at your local copy shop -- on the last page of this month's issue. (You can see a sneak peek of this map in the preview PDF.)

• And we just barely managed to deliver this month's Random Thought Table, which reminds us that we only punish the characters to reward the players.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2703
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2703_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Paulon

Default Re: Pyramid #3/103: Setbacks

File size: 63.3 megs. I thought there was something wrong at first, but that's one very nice, if huge, poster map of the Silk Road area.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
PK

Yeah, one of the nice things about Pyramid is that we can experiment with weird bonus content that wouldn't fit anywhere else, like giant maps and spreadsheets.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
GM Joe

Nice! I can't wait to download it this weekend and take a peep.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I don't want to say that making the huge color version of the map was a thinly veiled excuse to test a large-format printer I picked up along the way, but...what was the question?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Some Designer's Notes for "Mad as Bones."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yeah, one of the nice things about Pyramid is that we can experiment with weird bonus content that wouldn't fit anywhere else, like giant maps and spreadsheets.
Or perhaps article appropriate Cardboard Hero graphics suitable for printing and playing with whatever new NPCs, items, small vehicles, &c. are described in the text?

Pretty please?

Tags
pyramid, pyramid 3/103