Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
PK

Default Re: And then this happened . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Huh. This is interesting.

Will there be anything from the movie, like something on the... odd... Presidential succession that occurred?
Anything which happened only in the movie isn't part of the game. We didn't adapt the movie because the movie itself was an adaptation of the cards and comics . . . and when you want to base a setting on a particular intellectual property, you don't "adapt an adaptation" -- you go straight to the well.

I realize that most people know Mars Attacks via the movie, and that's perfectly fine! Like I said above, because the movie and RPG are both adapted from the same source, there's about 90% overlap between them. But please don't ask, "Does the book include <specific scene/person/factoid> from the movie?" -- because that's missing the point that GURPS Mars Attacks is an adaptation of the original source material.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #32
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Anything which happened only in the movie isn't part of the game. We didn't adapt the movie because the movie itself was an adaptation of the cards and comics . . . and when you want to base a setting on a particular intellectual property, you don't "adapt an adaptation" -- you go straight to the well.

I realize that most people know Mars Attacks via the movie, and that's perfectly fine! Like I said above, because the movie and RPG are both adapted from the same source, there's about 90% overlap between them. But please don't ask, "Does the book include <specific scene/person/factoid> from the movie?" -- because that's missing the point that GURPS Mars Attacks is an adaptation of the original source material.
Ah. Understood.

I wasn't actually sure if the succession thing had occurred in the cards or comics, which was why I asked. I should have phrased it better.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #33
TorgSmith

Will this be coming out in PDF as well?
Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #34
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorgSmith View Post
I'd be stunned if it didn't. SJG have made their opinion on the way of the future of gaming pretty well known, and outside the RPG industry, publishing is pretty clear on e-pub being The THing.

Of course, I want both!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
PK

Quote:
That'd be a question for Phil, Elisabeth, or Steven. Heck, I'm curious as well. :)

Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #36
TorgSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'd be stunned if it didn't. SJG have made their opinion on the way of the future of gaming pretty well known, and outside the RPG industry, publishing is pretty clear on e-pub being The THing.

Of course, I want both!
This is a licensed product, so the ultimate decision will be with a third party. I am hoping they can release it as PDF.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #37
scc

Quote:
I like the way you guys think! :)
I don't know if Randyman was talking about my campaign idea or the book closeness suggestion, but thanks.

That said, the MH organization would provide a good backbone for the resistance to coalesce around, of course the group may need re-working to fit within idea of 30's pulp sci-fi and fantasy (Did they even something resembling urban fantasy back then?)

Quote:
Yes, GURPS Mars Attacks has customized gadgeteering rules as part of the new alternative rules for Tech Level to fit the "anything goes" genre. Now mind you, these don't rewrite gadgeteering from the ground up because, well, you don't fix what ain't broke. Instead, they revise the modifiers and significantly clarify how they should be used in the game, particularly for scientists working out of garage labs, tool sheds, etc. They also add a new concept, Shortcuts, which allows you to accept a higher risk of bugs and side effects when you desperately need to get a prototype thrown together now.
Interesting, I've always been put off by the gadgetering rules before, they seemed a either a bit silly or super-hero or something
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #38
coyote6

Quote:
This is a licensed product, so the ultimate decision will be with a third party. I am hoping they can release it as PDF.
Topps owns Shadowrun, and allows Catalyst Game Labs to release everything in PDF. Indeed, they have many products that are PDF only. I think that'd be a good sign for a PDF version.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #39
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
That said, the MH organization would provide a good backbone for the resistance to coalesce around, of course the group may need re-working to fit within idea of 30's pulp sci-fi and fantasy (Did they even something resembling urban fantasy back then?)
Actually, Mars Attacks is a modern setting (2015) that draws influence from the B movies of the 50s and 60s. The book does include the option of running a "retro" game set half a century ago if you really want to, but the baseline assumption is 100% "the Martians are invading now!"

Quote:
Interesting, I've always been put off by the gadgetering rules before, they seemed a either a bit silly or super-hero or something
They are somewhat "superheroic" in that they let a gadgeteer spend half a day in a Radio Shack and walk out with a blaster pistol. And I want to be very clear and honest here: GURPS Mars Attacks does not tone down that capability! This setting is one in which new technology should be appearing on a regular basis. Of course, the GM can ignore that, forbid Quick Gadgeteer, etc. -- but "amazing (sometimes crazy) new inventions" are a pretty major part of Mars Attacks, so I wouldn't.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #40
Nexahs

This is a definite buy for me - even if I can't find people willing to conquer the world, it's perfect for an Earth Defense Force game my brother and I have been planning.

Point of interest, is the Martians' weakness to country music from the comics, or was that just the movie?
Nexahs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mars attacks