Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
Joe

Default Re: And then this happened . . .

A new, entirely physical, GURPS hardcover?!?!? This is a great day.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough how much this pleases me.

I have no interest in Mars Attacks as a setting - literally none - but I'll definitely be buying this anyway, and doing so as soon as humanly possible, simply because it's a new actual, non-virtual, GURPS hardcover(!!!!!), and that is pretty much my favorite thing in the multiverse.

Big thanks to all involved!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
VulpesFulva

ACK! ACK-ACK! ACK!

:D My simple +1 to the glee about GURPS Mars Attacks. I'll hafta order it via my FLGS.
VulpesFulva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
somecallmetim

I don't know if this is a license of the Burton movie, or just the trading cards, but if "chihuahua with a human head" is a published template, I will weep with joy.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulpesFulva View Post
ACK! ACK-ACK! ACK!
That was enough to have me burst out laughing.

I'll definitely be getting this. Also, I should look into seeing the actual movie again some time...
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #15
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I don't know if this is a license of the Burton movie, or just the trading cards, but if "chihuahua with a human head" is a published template, I will weep with joy.
Just the trading cards. There is no Burton movie. Fnord.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #16
AOTA

Awesome. Sounds like something very fun to Demo.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #17
PK

It'd be more accurate to say that the RPG is adapted from the trading cards and comics, just like the Burton movie was adapted from the trading cards and comics. It's all playing in the same world, the same setting -- but where Burton took a few liberties to make the cards filmable, I took my own separate liberties to make the cards into a fleshed-out setting worthy of a GURPS book. So if you're only familiar with Mars Attacks via the movie, you'll probably recognize 90% of what's in GURPS Mars Attacks -- whereas if you're familiar with the cards and comics, you'll recognize 97%, with that last 3% having been added for playability.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #18
PK

To address those who aren't enthused about this setting, I'd like to point out a few things that you may not realize. After that, if you still aren't sold, that's totally cool; we all have differing tastes!
  • This isn't a siege to be won by sheer military force alone -- it'll be won by technology. Gadgeteers are ubiquitous on both sides, coming up with prototype weapons, sensors, defenses, etc., both as part of a large force but also as individuals in their garages and saucer-labs. It's the ultimate geek-war.
  • The setting fits anything from cinematic action play to gritty death-is-cheap violence -- and makes sense for power levels from "unsuspecting civilian" to "seasoned warrior." The included templates are 100 and 175 points, with options to adapt Action or Monster Hunters heroes to the setting. (And all that applies whether you're playing humans or Martians . . . yes, you can play Martians, from grunts to elite champions.)
  • Similarly, there are so many campaigns that can be run from within the setting. Yes, you could be human soldiers and scientists fighting Martians on the front line, but personally, I'd run small-town police, zookeepers, and video-gamers forming a resistance to deal with sporadic Martian raiders and the giant insects that they've unleashed on the countryside. Matt Riggsby suggested running a group of veterans-turned-criminals who now pull "heists" on the Martians' terrestrial bases -- an idea so awesome that I stole it for the book!
I wanted to write GURPS Mars Attacks because I was blown away by how versatile a setting this was. It's a perfect fit for those who like their sci-fi with a hint of B movie . . . but I think it has something to appeal to anyone.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #19
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
  • The setting fits anything from cinematic action play to gritty death-is-cheap violence -- and makes sense for power levels from "unsuspecting civilian" to "seasoned warrior." The included templates are 100 and 175 points, with options to adapt Action or Monster Hunters heroes to the setting. (And all that applies whether you're playing humans or Martians . . . yes, you can play Martians, from grunts to elite champions.)
How interesting that another Monster Hunters book dealing with aliens come out recently.

That said a campaign where the Martians have SCIENCE! but the humans have Magic could be very interesting
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #20
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
How interesting that another Monster Hunters book dealing with aliens come out recently.

That said a campaign where the Martians have SCIENCE! but the humans have Magic could be very interesting
Or vice versa, really.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mars attacks