Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #1
Baldo

Default [Mars Attacks] A few questions...

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/m...g/cover_lg.jpg

I just *LOVED* Gurps Mars Attacks, but I need advices/answers about several things:

1): The book cover in the SJG site has the hilarious 'Lustful Martian with Human Girl' art (page 14) on the left, but my printed copy came with the 'Martian Marine(?) in Heavy Armor' (page 29) instead. What happened?

2): Why Gluttony is a racial disadvantage for Martians? NOTHING in the book hints/refers to the dietary habits of Martians. Do they have a crave for Human(s foods)s?

3): The 'Project Head' lens (page 67) has the skills for 'Bug' and 'Human Upgrade', but I would like to know the required skills for the remaining projects too. In addition, why the 'Martian Officer' character template lacks the Weird Science skill?

4): "Earth in the Balance" (page 18) says 'Alliance Annihilated' is "the result assumed by the Mars Attacks trading cards". I dunno, searched Youtube for the 1962 Topps cards and I've seen the 'Mars Explodes' card at the end, do you can give me more details? In addition, "Earth in the Balance" is scheduled to happen... When, exactly? 7 Months since Day 1? Or after YEARS of carnage?

5): Where I find the Designer's Notes?

Thank you for any input!
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [Mars Attacks] A few questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
I just *LOVED* Gurps Mars Attacks, but I need advices/answers about several things:
I'm so glad to hear that! I'll be happy to answer your questions, and will do so one at a time to make it easier to discuss them individually.

Quote:
1): The book cover in the SJG site has the hilarious 'Lustful Martian with Human Girl' art (page 14) on the left, but my printed copy came with the 'Martian Marine(?) in Heavy Armor' (page 29) instead. What happened?
Several of us, myself included, asked for that change to minimize the "Martians attacking women" theme of the book -- for the reasons discussed in "Mars Needs Women" (p. 70). I didn't want the cover to alienate* a huge segment of gamers right off the bat.

* No pun intended. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
PK

Quote:
2): Why Gluttony is a racial disadvantage for Martians? NOTHING in the book hints/refers to the dietary habits of Martians.
You're right, and that's an oversight on my part. Sorry!

Quote:
Do they have a crave for Human(s foods)s?
Yes! GURPS always assumes a human baseline; so since the Martians have no special traits regarding their diet, that means they eat normal human food (which is pretty typical in pulp sci-fi settings). And Gluttony reflects the fact that they will go out of their way to sample the decadent treats and snacks that Earth has to offer.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yes! GURPS always assumes a human baseline; so since the Martians have no special traits regarding their diet, that means they eat normal human food (which is pretty typical in pulp sci-fi settings). And Gluttony reflects the fact that they will go out of their way to sample the decadent treats and snacks that Earth has to offer.
Now that's an interesting bit of characterisation that helps the defenders of Earth set up a delicious multitude of traps.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
3): The 'Project Head' lens (page 67) has the skills for 'Bug' and 'Human Upgrade', but I would like to know the required skills for the remaining projects too.
Sure! I only had room for the one example, and wanted to keep it open and free for anything else the GM or players wanted to invent, but here's what I'd use for the existing projects:

Deep Freeze: Biology (Human) (VH) IQ [8]-13; Engineer (Electronics) (H) IQ [4]-13; Physician (Human) (H) IQ [4]-13; Physiology (Human) (H) IQ [4]-13.

Robot: Engineer (Heavy Weapons) (H) IQ+1 [8]-14; Engineer (Robotics) (H) IQ+1 [8]-14; Engineer (Vehicular Armor) (H) IQ [4]-13.

Underground: Engineer (Construction Equipment) (H) IQ [4]-13; Engineer (Mining) (H) IQ+1 [8]-14; Geology (H) IQ [4]-13; Prospecting (A) IQ+1 [4]-14.

Quote:
In addition, why the 'Martian Officer' character template lacks the Weird Science skill?
You can already include Weird Science in the Project Head lens, since those skills are very flexible. However, I would have no problem adding Weird Science to the Secondary Skills list, so that Engineers, Scientists, and Surgeons have easy access to it. Please consider that an official addition.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
4): "Earth in the Balance" (page 18) says 'Alliance Annihilated' is "the result assumed by the Mars Attacks trading cards". I dunno, searched Youtube for the 1962 Topps cards and I've seen the 'Mars Explodes' card at the end, do you can give me more details?
As mentioned in the Introduction, this book is based more on the 2013 Mars Attacks: Invasion set than on the 1962 set -- and in that set, Earth is eventually conquered by the Martians. See "Victory at Hand" (card #57) and "The Occupation Begins" (card #58). Mars Attacks: Occupation continues the story, with humanity fighting back to retake their planet.

Quote:
In addition, "Earth in the Balance" is scheduled to happen... When, exactly? 7 Months since Day 1? Or after YEARS of carnage?
That's up to the GM and/or to be determined by the events that unfold in-game.

Last edited by PK; 05-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
PK

Quote:
5): Where I find the Designer's Notes?
There aren't currently any Designer's Notes for this, but I'd be happy to answer questions and provide any insight into the creation of the book.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Baldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
...but I'd be happy to answer questions and provide any insight into the creation of the book.
OK, I've seen (and read) the 95 cards of the Invasion deck posted on Amazon, and I'm now even more impressed with your book, bravo!
To say the truth, I think the "Mars Needs Women" theme is the truest to the spirit of the campaign, but, hey, be assured I understand your problem with "alienat(ing) a huge segment of gamers right off the bat".

Thank you very much for your posts!!
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mars attacks