Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
enilson

Default Help for a newbie

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Munchkin but we've gotten to the point where we don't have to look up rules any more.

So it seems that no matter what mix of expansions we use - our games take forever (at least 2 hours). Constantly losing equipment, races, levels, etc - especially early on. I play regular Munchkin with a bunch of expansions, but played Munchkin Zombies by itself and have the same results.

Meanwhile, I see posts of people that have had their combat level in the hundreds! I think the largest we've seen is in the 20's and that was really rare.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Love the game, but would like to at least be able to make some real progress.

Thanks!
enilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Help for a newbie

In my experience, the most common cause of this is players failing to cooperate (or, worse, actively working against each other) in the early game. If everyone is backstabbing each other or just refusing to join a fight from the start of the game, it's going to be a slog for a while until you run across enough low-Level monsters to level up and get a bit of Treasure.

I also suggest using the Listening at the Door "faster play" rule (see p. 6 of your rulesheet); it gets more cards into the game, especially early on, and means that players who aren't seeing monsters aren't totally missing out on Treasures.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Ballistica

We have Marvel/X-Men and Adventure Time and we tend to have the exact opposite, in the 10 or so games ive played of munchkin we have only seen the bad stuff occur once, ever. I've found level 20 monsters a tad too weak for a single person, even in the mid-game, so we are trying out methods to incentivize backstabbing earlier
Ballistica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistica View Post
We have Marvel/X-Men and Adventure Time and we tend to have the exact opposite, in the 10 or so games ive played of munchkin we have only seen the bad stuff occur once, ever. I've found level 20 monsters a tad too weak for a single person, even in the mid-game, so we are trying out methods to incentivize backstabbing earlier
Some sets have a steeper power curve than others. Since this is about how to speed things up, not slow them down, let's not continue this tangent.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
serleran

Yes, I have encountered situations where one player, for example, is "stuck" at level 1 or 2, simply due to either not encountering monsters or being unable to obtain any significant treasure (other than one-shots). However, this does not seem to be the case for all players -- the more there are, the less likely this is to occur, in fact, but the better it is for the player who is "stuck." Charity is a great advantage to receive.

So, if possible, add more players. "Card advantage" as its been called works in every direction.

Some sets may not have the golden ratio of monsters:other stuff (for example, Monster Enhancers has very few, if any, monsters but several modifiers for them instead) so ensuring you use a good balance of add-ins can also go a long way.
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote