Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
MiB1213

Default GURPS Clerical magic

Hey guys. I haven't ran a GURPS game using magic in some years now but have one starting soon. I reread the rules on magic but have a few questions that need clarification.
1. Since clerics use PI not Margery is there a skill role needed for them casting magic?
2. When "learning" new spells ( I know they pray for them and are granted by their deities) do they still need to make a check using INT+PI?
3. Casting cost.. In the characters book it says (I'd quote it but don't have it in front of me at the moment) something about having at least 1 point. So does that mean all their spells cost 1 HP or FP to cast?
Any clarification would help. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS Clerical magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
Hey guys. I haven't ran a GURPS game using magic in some years now but have one starting soon. I reread the rules on magic but have a few questions that need clarification.
1. Since clerics use PI not Margery is there a skill role needed for them casting magic?
2. When "learning" new spells ( I know they pray for them and are granted by their deities) do they still need to make a check using INT+PI?
3. Casting cost.. In the characters book it says (I'd quote it but don't have it in front of me at the moment) something about having at least 1 point. So does that mean all their spells cost 1 HP or FP to cast?
Any clarification would help. Thanks.
1.Yes. Each spell is still a separate Skill.
2.I don't remember ever hearing of this one. The cleric just gives his GM a CP and his god gives him a new Spell.
3. Cost to learn is minimum of 1 cp. Cost to cast can be lowered to zero by high skill level.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
MiB1213

Thanks for the tip. Still a little confused about PI. It says that you add your level of PI to your intelligence when learning new spells (similar to Margery I guess). If the spells are granted to you by a deity why would you need to "learn" it.?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Still a little confused about PI. It says that you add your level of PI to your intelligence when learning new spells (similar to Margery I guess). If the spells are granted to you by a deity why would you need to "learn" it.?
Two different things. You've "learned" a Spell when you've spent the CP. What you're doing when you roll IQ + Power investiture is _casting_ it. If your IQ + PI don't add up to very much you can know spells that you're not very good at casting.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Game balance reasons to keep clerics in line with mages.
Think of it as learning a specific prayer ritual.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
3. Cost to learn is minimum of 1 cp. Cost to cast can be lowered to zero by high skill level.
Still use the same casting cost as listed in the particular spell?

Last edited by MiB1213; 01-24-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Edit
MiB1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Still use the same casting cost as listed in the particular spell?
Yes. That doesn't change.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Yes, each spell has its own associated skill. When you cast your spell, you roll against that skill. By default, no other skill rolls are required to cast a spell.

As an optional rule you can cap a character's skill in a given spell at their skill level in a specific core skill. For example, a wizard with Thaumatology-12 would not be able to learn any spells above skill level 12 if you chose Thaumatology as the core skill. Religious Ritual and Theology would be logical choices for a cleric.

Quote:
If I recall correctly, by default a caster doesn't need to roll against INT+Magery or INT+PI to learn new spells. In fact, you apparently don't need to roll against INT unless you are using the quick learning under pressure rules.

While this isn't stated clearly in the Magic chapter, Magery and PI are basically glorified talents. One effect of talents is that you add their level to your relative skill. So, say I have IQ 13 and Magery 4, and decide to spend 1 point on Fireball. Fireball is a Hard skill, so for 1 point I'd normally know it at IQ - 2 = (13) - 2 = 11 level. However, since I have Magery, I would know it at IQ - 2 + Magery = (13) - 2 + (4) = 15 skill level.

Quote:
Only Blocking spells have the minimum casting cost of 1 FP. All other spells can theoretically have their energy cost reduced to 0 by high skill. I didn't see anything in the Clerical Magic sidebar that would change this.

I'd recommend checking out Divine Favor for a different take on clerical magic. Divine Favor is a magic as powers treatment of clerical magic. In my opinion, Divine Favor matches the feel of a divine caster better than the standard magic system.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You could only Use Quick Learning under pressure with spells if your magic system allows casting by default; the normal spell magic system doesn't.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You could only Use Quick Learning under pressure with spells if your magic system allows casting by default; the normal spell magic system doesn't.
Good catch. I forgot to mention that.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerical magic, gurps 4th edition