Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
Greg 1

Default [DF] Which character classes get played the most?

In my limited experience with actually getting to play GURPS DF, players have shown a strong tendency to want to play the melee classes. Knights, Swashbucklers and Barbarians have been particularly attractive options, with Clerics being included as a necessity.

In your experience, which DF class have seen the most play?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [DF] Which character classes get played the most?

I've got a group of 6 characters of which 2 are wizards and 1 is a druid-wizard. And another is a cleric.

So my tiny data set says magic users.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post

In my experience, Knights and Wizards - my players appear to consider them to be both superior and more versatile than other character types.

I had all kinds of characters - Clerics, Bards, Scouts - but they were never perceived as "powerful" by my players when compared to Knights and Wizards.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
PseudoFenton

Quote:
In my current group we have a Barbarian-Swashbuckler, a Wizard, a Thief and a not quite Cleric (doesn't conform to a template). So basically your standard distribution of class composition, but technically its 2v1 for melee v spellcasting (as the cleric is pacifistic), so melee is winning.
PseudoFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
mlangsdorf

My online group has usually had 5-6 PCs. Usually there's been a Scout and a Swashbuckler, as they're both fairly versatile, high damage classes. Thief, Cleric, and Wizard are common. The original group didn't have any Knights, but party composition has been trending that way due to some unfortunately house rules regarding magic that I'm trying to fix.

I've never seen a scholar or artificer, though people have made noises about playing them.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Azinctus

We've had eight characters. Scout (archer), Swashbuckler, Wizard (Fireball), Wizard (Mind Control), Thief, Knight (Greatsword), Cleric, Shaman.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

IME, Scouts by far.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
In my limited experience with actually getting to play GURPS DF, players have shown a strong tendency to want to play the melee classes. Knights, Swashbucklers and Barbarians have been particularly attractive options, with Clerics being included as a necessity.
My DF party has a lot of melee and some stealth, but no wizards. I play the Cleric, it was my first choice, and I love it. Of course, he's not your father's D&D Cleric... This is GURPS; if you want your Cleric to be really good at beating the hell out of people and not have a single Healing spell, follow your joy like I did.

I should probably note that the GM provided us with a Healer Cleric NPC, without whom somebody would've had to be the healing b----. I recommend this method, played out with tongue firmly in cheek. Our Healer is named Metik, so when somebody goes down they shout "Metik!" for him, he does his thing, and everybody chuckles. My PC refuses his services when conscious, however, because he is an infidel.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 09-16-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
demonsbane

Holy Warrior, anyone?

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Holy Warrior, anyone?
My preference would be a big dumb half ogre healer for a character. Add based on will to healer advantage and a bit of reliable, and a tad of fatigue reduction and you can be a great healer for 60 points even with an IQ of 7. And having a strength of 22 means you are damn scary with a flail sheild combo.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, templates