Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2020, 05:24 AM   #21
Pursuivant

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Xenophilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
To me, this basically seems like a large Delusion (along the lines of "Dangerous foreigners and monsters are actually friendly") with a self-control number, combined with a limited version of Fearlessness. Does that seem like a fair description?
That only gets part of it. You've missed the "aliens and strangers are interesting and I like hanging out with them" bit. That could set a xenophilic character up for accusations of collaborating with enemies from their own people or get them into trouble if they offend or annoy otherwise peaceful aliens.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #22
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've had trouble making Xenophilia a disadvantage in my games. In a number of cases, I've just banned it. Sometimes using words like "Xenophilic behavior is considered normal, in-genre, and not a disadvantage in this campaign"
Xenophilia is very much campaign-dependent. In a typical SF or fantasy campaign, merely mingling with people of different species isn't that weird.

In such cases, what counts as Xenophilia has be broadened. For example, you can't just hang out with elves or Vulcans in an otherwise multi-species culture. Instead, you must immerse yourself in the alien culture to the exclusion of your own, or go looking for really strange and unusual, possibly dangerous, creatures. (Sort of like Hagrid's love for really dangerous magical beasts in the Harry Potter series.)

Additionally, Xenophilia implies a bit of Gullibility and Delusion (Everyone is friendly). Even when strangers are overtly threatening, you might try to talk when shooting or running are much better survival strategies. ("We come in pe . . ." ZZZAAAPP!)

You'll also give strangers the benefit of the doubt when you really shouldn't. ("Oh, the Orcs are just bringing siege engines into the city for their "Rite of Blood" ceremony, don't worry about it.")

Finally, Xenophilia might carry a bit of Odious Personal Habit, especially if you really like aliens but don't have a clue about how to get along with them. Your behavior could easily give you a bad Reputation among your own people as a poseur, sellout, or traitor, or among the aliens as a pest, spy, or annoying fanboi. ("G'zak, the annoying human person is back again. This time we should dump him on Alpha Centauri III rather than in the Bermuda Triangle.")
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #23
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Xenophilia....I'm also curious if it is intended as a "good" Disadvantage. It strikes me as a "neutral" trait unless taken in combination with the correct other traits
I agree. Being more interested in beings who are different than you than in ones that are similar is not necessarily "good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that I have to disgree with that conclusion.

Yes, in most social settings, Xenophilia will not get you killed. But it's also true that Bad Temper won't get you killed, Intolerance won't get you killed, Code of Honor won't get you killed, and so on....
As with just about everything, it comes down to how the GM runs it.

I think Pursuivant has some really good points above as well.

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 09-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, xenophilia