Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
marctabyanan

Default Magic item creation

Can we see a clean up of the magic item creation rules? I may have always had copies of AW that needed some errata, but the rules as written are kinda confusing. Also I feel like I’m missing something when I try to walk through the examples.
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Magic item creation

If I recall correctly there were some problems with the examples in the original booklets -- you needed Steve's errata from the Space Gamer to actually work them out, and even then I still felt confused by many of the finer points.

I too hope for much clearer (or perhaps I mean "more precisely phrased") examples for this (and Alchemy too, for that matter).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Terquem

I suppose my biggest fear for a new version of The Fantasy Trip is that it might evolve into a "character creation game" rather than remain a "fantasy battle/rp" game

I used to play one of those other games, and it was a lot of fun, then there was this version that came out that I just couldn't get my head wrapped around. It was too full of complex character creation rules and extensions.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
JLV

LOL! I know exactly what you mean! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Magic item creation. --> 2 problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
If I recall correctly there were some problems with the examples in the original booklets ... even then I still felt confused by many of the finer points. ...
Hi JLV, everyone.
My friend made a spread sheet which held the magic item table and found that there were a lot of mistakes. Wizard's profit was all over the place.

Also the notes could use more explanation. I thought at first that the notes where you pay more for long enchantments were for paying for physical security of the lab. But now I feel that they are taking in account the chance of rolling an auto miss, or an 18 = complete loss of the current enchantment.

If the latter, then the notes still don't work right, because they multiply the cost by the original value of the item, but it should be for just the current enchantment, (unless an 18 means that ALL enchantments on the item are destroyed).

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
tbeard1999

Steve's errata for TFT can be found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070210...t/designnt.htm

There are some corrections to the magic item creation table.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
marctabyanan

Thanks, Ty.
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote