Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Ed the Coastie

Default Grounded Modular Cutter Modules

This may sound like a dumb question...but how are the various modules positioned/placed groundside? I'm working on a bit of a "ruin" in which an assortment of modules had been grounded to form what was intended to be the nucleus of a newly-founded colony, only to be abandoned rather hurriedly for reasons that are unknown to the PCs. I know that there is a tracked crawler that can move them around...but how would you get the module on/off the crawler in the first place, much less shift it around once it was on the ground?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Grounded Modular Cutter Modules

Same way you move any big cargo. A grav crane (like a helicopter). Or grav modules you can attach to a larger object (if it has support points), perhaps a cradle style. Tractor beams, if your repulsor technology is up to it.

At lower tech levels, there's the ordinary crane, copter, and flatbed trucks.

Dtons aren't tons mass, so they're probably not that hard to move. Most of the modules have a lot of empty space.

A standard 20' shipping container has a max gross weight of 30 metric tons. 18-wheelers haul 20-40 tons. These aren't tremendously difficult masses to move around, at least at the facilities designed to do so. A Space Shuttle-style tracked crawler would be overkill.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Malenfant

Would they not have extendable landing legs to stop them rolling away?
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenfant View Post
Would they not have extendable landing legs to stop them rolling away?
Since they're roughly cylindrical, that could be a concern. I don't think there's any statement about such a feature, but it seems like something that would be useful enough that it would probably be a common accessory.

There would probably be several versions, depending on how hard a surface they were meant to be used, and how balanced the mass inside the module was; a balanced load on a concrete slab wouldn't need much more than a pair of wheel blocks, while an off-center load on a sandy beach might require fairly substantial slabs. Because of the variation in types that might be necessary, the fact that larger versions might take up some cargo space, and the fact that they wouldn't be necessary at starports that have enough modular cutter traffic that they'd store them in cradles, they probably aren't standard equipment.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Jame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Since they're roughly cylindrical, that could be a concern. I don't think there's any statement about such a feature, but it seems like something that would be useful enough that it would probably be a common accessory.

There would probably be several versions, depending on how hard a surface they were meant to be used, and how balanced the mass inside the module was; a balanced load on a concrete slab wouldn't need much more than a pair of wheel blocks, while an off-center load on a sandy beach might require fairly substantial slabs. Because of the variation in types that might be necessary, the fact that larger versions might take up some cargo space, and the fact that they wouldn't be necessary at starports that have enough modular cutter traffic that they'd store them in cradles, they probably aren't standard equipment.
I think I assumed that they had the struts like Malenfant suggested, but this makes sense too.

I seem to recall that there was an illustration in one of the GT books showing the struts at that.

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote