Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
RedLeif508

Default Re: Thoughts on the Beta PDFs

I am very, very new to TFT/M/W and have only read the newly released Melee rules. I'm surprised the large shield (scutum/viking round?) doesn't impose a -1 MA adjustment. Also where does scale mail fit in. The roman scale was about as good as chainmail, probably fitting in between leather and chain mail somehow, as I understand it.
maybe -3 hits, MA= 7, DX-2 or -3?.

Last edited by RedLeif508; 09-22-2018 at 01:11 PM.
RedLeif508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeif508 View Post
I am very, very new to TFT/M/W and have only read the newly released Melee rules. I'm surprised the large shield (scutum/viking round?) doesn't impose a -1 MA adjustment. Also where does scale mail fit in. The roman scale was about as good as chainmail, probably fitting in between leather and chain mail, as I understand it.
I'd tend to call a viking round shield a large shield, but a Roman scutum I would call a Tower Shield (which you'll see in the advanced rules (coming in the new In The Labyrinth), which stops 3 hits/attack and reduces DX by 2). No shield forces a reduced MA, but in the advanced rules there were (will be?) encumbrance rules, and the weight of wearing armor and carrying a tower shield may (or may not) end up resulting in an added MA penalty.

I'd tend to rate scale or Roman lorica segmentata as TFT chainmail.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #13
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'd tend to rate scale or Roman lorica segmentata as TFT chainmail.
Nothing wrong with that. I was inclined to rate it as half-plate because I'm coming from a similar system that has the following armor types: cloth, leather, chainmail, segmented, and plate. I would prefer to re-label "half-plate" as "segmented". "Segmented" armor then becomes a catch-all for the various types of scale, wooden armor, and half-plate.

After reading your comment, I'm inclined to be flexible and rate it as chain or half-plate as desired/required.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
RedLeif508

As I thought about the armors in the recent Melee rules I considered segmentata (roman, iron/face hardened steel panels) as half plate,
compared to Plate (late middle ages steel armour suit) as 'full' plate.

As I understand it most medieval european chainmail (riveted iron rings) was no different than Roman chainmail (riveted iron rings)

I'm still not certain about how to place roman era scale mail.

oh well, thanks for the ideas
Old 09-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeif508 View Post
As I thought about the armors in the recent Melee rules I considered segmentata (roman, iron/face hardened steel panels) as half plate,
compared to Plate (late middle ages steel armour suit) as 'full' plate.

As I understand it most medieval european chainmail (riveted iron rings) was no different than Roman chainmail (riveted iron rings)

I'm still not certain about how to place roman era scale mail.

oh well, thanks for the ideas
I'm not an armor expert. Before posting my "idea" last night, I did do some light research (googling) for how segmentata is made versus half-plate. I got lots of relavent google hits for segmented armor and only 1 "real world" hit for half-plate. ('Half-plate' turned up hundreds of D&D or Pathfinder posts). According to my "research", there's only one fundamental difference between "half-plate" and other cuirass-type armors: Half-plate plates were fastened to chainmail while all the other cuirass types I landed upon (including lorica segmentata) fastened the plates to leather.

This is why I'm willing to let a character choose between the chainmail and half-plate rating. I'll call one "light scale" (chainmail rating) and the other "heavy scale" (half-plate rating).
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 AM   #16
Helborn

I believe that Steve originally assigned names to weapons doing certain damage and armor preventing certain damage to help players (and himself?) visualize them. The original ITL had half a page (pg 12) of listing other names that could be used instead of the given ones.

The same holds true for armor. Their are many names that could be used but their effectiveness is what matters. I suggest that having a Chain that allows an MA of 7 or -5 hits stopped is better left to enchantment rather than modifying the base rules.

The Weapon/Armor enchantment spell (IQ 14, pg 14 of the original Adv Wizard) allows for increased protection though not a smaller DX or MA penalty. Perhaps this might be added in the revision?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #17
ParadoxGames

On the reverse side of PRONE counters, I propose "KNEELING" counters.

I made some of my own 3/4" positioning counters. Standing is default, so not required, but it it's there for those with OCD like me.

Here's a sample: https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...126&height=124

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 09-24-2018 at 02:24 PM.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #18
larsdangly

Re armors and shields: If you prefer simplicity, then I think it is clear that the listed armors and shields can be considered representative of a wide range of possible historical equipment, and you just need to decide whether you think of scale as 'chain like' or 'half plate like' or whatever. If you like lots of choices in your equipment lists, I can email you a pdf of some tables I drew up for my house rules; just PM me your address.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote