Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Ed the Coastie

Default How Does the Cat Stay in the Bag?

From the game I am working on, I have a premise that in 1828, then-President John Quincy Adams authorized a "Second Voyage of Discovery", this one heading north to check out the validity of John Symmes' hollow Earth theory. Not only did the expedition successfully locate "Symmes' Hole", which gave access to the inner world, but they also made contact with the Nahash (pronounced "NAY-kosh"), a race of humanoid reptiles whose distant ancestors had fled to the inner world 65 million years ago in anticipation of the asteroid impact that led to the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event. (The Nahashi were TL11 at their height, but their technology tends to be biologically- and/or psionically-based, and they never developed space travel.)

How do you keep something like that a secret from the general public, even after nearly 200 years? I don't just want to "hand-wave" something...I want to have at least some rational (or even semi-rational) explanation other than the fact that most Nahashi want little or nothing to do with humans.

Last edited by Ed the Coastie; 05-21-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Ed the Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: How Does the Cat Stay in the Bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
How do you keep something like that a secret from the general public, even after nearly 200 years?
Assuming a remotely free society, you don't. Not that you couldn't keep the initial discovery secret, but by the mid 20th century it's way too easy to detect without ever coming close to the actual hole.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

That kind of thing couldn't be hidden from TL 7 let alone 8 geology. The ultra tech pacifist "aliens" could be brushed off as silly paranoia though.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
From the game I am working on, I have a premise that in 1828, then-President John Quincy Adams authorized a "Second Voyage of Discovery", this one heading north to check out the validity of John Symmes' hollow Earth theory. Not only did the expedition successfully locate "Symmes' Hole", which gave access to the inner world, but they also made contact with the Nahash (pronounced "NAY-kosh"), a race of humanoid reptiles whose distant ancestors had fled to the inner world 65 million years ago in anticipation of the asteroid impact that led to the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event. (The Nahashi were TL11 at their height, but their technology tends to be biologically- and/or psionically-based, and they never developed space travel.)

How do you keep something like that a secret from the general public, even after nearly 200 years? I don't just want to "hand-wave" something...I want to have at least some rational (or even semi-rational) explanation other than the fact that most Nahashi want little or nothing to do with humans.
Close the hole. A big honking hole that's there all the time can't be concealed for that long.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Close the hole. A big honking hole that's there all the time can't be concealed for that long.
Even if you close the hole, a giant hole in the ground would have effects on gravity and propagation of earthquake waves that are fairly trivially visible by TL 7.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Even if you close the hole, a giant hole in the ground would have effects on gravity and propagation of earthquake waves that are fairly trivially visible by TL 7.
It would require vastly different physics, as well as fundamental aspects of volcanism, magnetism, and geology.

What would be the theory for such hollowness other than habitable air pockets? Determining that false consensus might help coming up with how the overall secrets could be kept hidden.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Anders

I don't understand. You put a bag on the floor, and the cat stays there because he wants to. You don't have to force him. He's a cat.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Ed the Coastie

It's just a game, guys...not a geology dissertation. I can get away with claiming a "hollow Earth" because it is, in fact, a feature of my setting; most people are aware that the Earth is hollow or at least has several large and inter-connected subterranean "pockets". However, it is generally maintained that the subterranean region is uninhabitable for one reason or another, and what is being kept secret is that not only is it habitable but there is an "alien race" dwelling within.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
robkelk
Untitled

Perhaps most of the expedition never returned. It's trivially easy to die of exposure in the High Arctic even if you're prepared for it, and they wouldn't have been prepared for it in 1828.

The expedition's survivors wouldn't want to be responsible for sending others to their deaths, so they kept quiet about what they knew - except in the official, Top Secret government report.

Would that work?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Perhaps most of the expedition never returned. It's trivially easy to die of exposure in the High Arctic even if you're prepared for it, and they wouldn't have been prepared for it in 1828.

The expedition's survivors wouldn't want to be responsible for sending others to their deaths, so they kept quiet about what they knew - except in the official, Top Secret government report.

Would that work?
Not really, no. Consider all the arctic and antarctic expeditions in the real world. The main problem is that somebody else would go there to see for themselves. As for not wanting to be responsible for sending others to their death, they would be highly unusual explorers if that prevented them from publishing their discoveries and hitting the lecture trail (Again consider historical explorers).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote