Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
vierasmarius

Default [UT] Smart Explosively Forged Projectile a Dumb Idea?

I've been playing around with Ultra Tech weapons (such as throwing a servo-mounted 40mm mortar box on a battlesuit) and was reminded of a question I had. One of the warhead options at TL9 is the SEFOP, a special guided round that can perform pop-up attacks against armor. It's similar in damage to the Shaped Charge, but with only 1/3 the armor divisor. "That's fine," I thought, "it can just target the weaker top or rear armor." But the example tanks in UT all have more than 1/3 DR on their weakest point, making the Shaped Charge always a better option. In what situations would the SEFOP actually beat its simpler and cheaper cousin?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [UT] Smart Explosively Forged Projectile a Dumb Idea?

If you built an actual UT MBT, rather than the funny little light tanks, you'd probably have a lot more cause to worry about frontal armor. Remember that the T-72's frontal armor is much stronger than the tanks in UT!

If you're attacking someone or something behind cover, SEFOP could bypass that.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If you built an actual UT MBT, rather than the funny little light tanks, you'd probably have a lot more cause to worry about frontal armor. Remember that the T-72's frontal armor is much stronger than the tanks in UT!

If you're attacking someone or something behind cover, SEFOP could bypass that.
Good point. I just looked that up again, and the T-72 has DR 1155 on the front but only 90 on the top of the body! I suspect UT MBTs would be slightly more balanced than that, but it would still be an advantage to be able to bypass the best-armored region.

Speaking of which, anyone have stats for such an MBT?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
In what situations would the SEFOP actually beat its simpler and cheaper cousin?
SEFOP is not affected by laminate and electromagnetic armor.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
SEFOP is not affected by laminate and electromagnetic armor.
Are you sure about that? The SEFOP uses basically the same effect as normal shaped charges, just with a longer stand-off distance. If you're right, though, that would be a huge boon against advanced armor.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Mailanka

Quote:
Are you sure about that? The SEFOP uses basically the same effect as normal shaped charges, just with a longer stand-off distance. If you're right, though, that would be a huge boon against advanced armor.
I always assumed they didn't. It's kinda hard to tell sometimes, though. HEMP rounds specifically refer to themselves as "Shaped Charge," and SEFOP don't. I'm not really sure, though.

Also note that SEFOP can be loaded into smaller calibers than Shaped Charges, and they can be programmed to act as APEX, if that makes a difference. Of course, on the flip side, they need to be homing to be effective.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

SEFOP uses the power of a shaped charge to form a projectile (often with fins!) out of metal that is placed in front of the charge. That projectile is accelerated by the blast into the target. It is not as fast as the products of a HEAT warhead and trades firing distance for penetration. HEAT warheads form a much thinner projectile that is so fast and under such high pressure that it punches a hole through the armor.

I would like to see some ideas on statting the Multi-SEFOP. A warhead that is segmented so that it fractures and forms into several projectiles.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

"Homing" would be a bit of a misnomer. The BLU-108 submunition is deployed from a bomb and it uses sensors to find a target while it is falling and then fires an explosively formed projectile at it but there is no ability for the projectile to actually change course to follow a target that has moved.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Are you sure about that?
I'm not sure it should be like that, but per rules as written they aren't shaped charges, and it does make the stats more coherent.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Also note that SEFOP can be loaded into smaller calibers than Shaped Charges, and they can be programmed to act as APEX, if that makes a difference. Of course, on the flip side, they need to be homing to be effective.
Oh, that brings up another question. When adding multiple modifiers to UT ammunition (such as warheads and guidance) are they multiplied together, or added and then multiplied like CF? For instance, basic IR homing adds +300% to projectile cost (+3 CF), while SEFOP warheads are x5 cost (+4 CF). This isn't an issue for most missiles, which explicitly have a separate cost for the projectile and the warhead. But gyrocs, mortars, and grenade launchers have a single cost per shot. Would an IR SEFOP 40mm Mortar round be $80 ($10*(1+3+4)) or $200 ($10*4*5)?