Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: So tell me - has SJ ever commented on the "conspiracy" behind the Illuminati game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Sure, laugh and believe it's all only a game. That's exactly what they want you to think.
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

And yeah. I'll be over here laughing.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
malloyd

Default Re: So tell me - has SJ ever commented on the "conspiracy" behind the Illuminati game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Sure, laugh and believe it's all only a game. That's exactly what they want you to think.
No, no. The Illuminati are deceiving everybody into believing they really exist. That's why the Secret Masters set up this obviously ridiculous cover story about a game. Everybody is *supposed* to be able to see through that immediately and be fooled into thinking they are real when in fact they are completely made up and there are no Secret Masters

Surely anybody with a decent Conspiracy Theory skill can follow the crystal clear logic of that.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I don't laugh at the people who believe conspiracy theories. I find it deeply sad that they find it more comforting to construct elaborate fantasies about shadowy cabals manipulating events behind the scenes than to accept that sometimes bad people do bad things, and sometimes crap just happens.

Really, I can't see how anything other than pity is the appropriate response. Mockery of people who are so deeply broken just seems cruel.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Really, I can't see how anything other than pity is the appropriate response. Mockery of people who are so deeply broken just seems cruel.
Are they all that deeply broken? After all the primary difference between shadowy conspiracies are manipulating everything and the gods and demons are manipulating everything is there is at least a chance you could become an equal of the conspirators. Which actually seems kind of empowering by comparison.

We don't usually say all people who have a religion are deeply broken, how is this particular para-religion different? Sure some small segment of the believers in anything may dive in so deeply as to lose all contact with reality, but is that really any more prevalent among conspiracy cultists? I doubt it.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
adm

In my observation, you have two types of Serious Believers;

1) True Believers, who do deserve the same level of pity as any other extremist, and one should be careful around like anything else that is potentially dangerous.

2) Hucksters, who are trying to sell you something, either for money, or political power in some form.

Note this generally applies to other groups like political parties and religious groups as well.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
In my observation, you have two types of Serious Believers.
It's always hard to define Serious Believers. I think the casual level of Conspiracy believers, on the level of everyday believers in most other religions really thinks the Royal Family had Diana assassinated, Global Warming is a hoax, and the government is covering up UFOs, shrugs and thinks he never trusted governments anyway, and goes on with his life.

Most conspiracies wouldn't matter very much to the average person's life even if they were true after all. If Lee Harvey Oswald had had an accomplice or somebody really had suppressed the discovery of a light bulb that never burns out, how different would your life really be?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #17
Mailanka

I once met Steve Jackson as a convention in Germany. He was giving out autographs. I brought the only non-Munchkin SJGames product. He looked up when he saw it and I looked back at him. After a moment of silence, I pulled out a small bottle of scotch, a nice vintage, and he regarded quietly before nodding.

We met an hour later in the back of the convention hall. The roar of the crowd died down to a dull roar back there, and the facade of the convention gave way to concrete and exposed cables. We sat in creaking plastic chairs and I poured the whiskey into plastic cups. I let him savor his first sip before asking.

"So, the illuminati?"

He swirled his whiskey patiently, and then lifted those wise eyes to me and explained "fnord."

And I understood.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:22 AM   #18
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
In my observation, you have two types of Serious Believers;

1) True Believers, who do deserve the same level of pity as any other extremist, and one should be careful around like anything else that is potentially dangerous.

2) Hucksters, who are trying to sell you something, either for money, or political power in some form.

Note this generally applies to other groups like political parties and religious groups as well.
I find this generally true in occult thought as well, though I would add a third group: the poets and philosophers who often contribute to that thought (not sure if that applies to conspiracy theories as well). Sometimes, you'll find shades of all three in the same person, though.

That said, there are real conspiracy theories. The business plot, L'affaire des poisons, Project MKUltra and the Thule Society were all really things, and the last certainly contributed to the fascist takeover of their country. The problem is not believing in conspiracies, it's refusing to see evidence, and attributing godlike power/competence to these conspiracies, and then attributing your problems to them, turning them into a foe you can face or an excuse for why your life sucks, as opposed to finding a way to deal with it. The Bilderberg Group is real and they surely impact world events... but they are not the reason you can't get a job or why your girlfriend broke up with you.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
adm

Defiantly true.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
smurf
Banned

I have worn my illuminati tshirt with pride and have lost count how many times people have commented on it. I usually wind them up.

The I use jokingly with friends if something works well then the Ministry of Inconvenience will rectify the problem.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fnord