Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
ElderGnome

Default So tell me - has SJ ever commented on the "conspiracy" behind the Illuminati game?

Hi guys,

I'm a loooong time fan of SJ games, playing GEV and your other microgames from the early '80's.

Over the past few years there has been a controversy brewing around the Illuminati card game and it's eerie ability to predict the future. It's amazing how big the whole debate has become. People seem to want to believe that Steve Jackson himself is a member of the Illuminati, using his game to reveal their plans to us, just like they've done in other media and cultural domains.

I've sometimes argued with these "conspiracy nuts", claiming that good research on hidden truths (ie. conspiracies) is bound to result in "hits" - truths eventually being revealed to the many what was once only revealed to a few. But the coincidences just keep on being "revealed" and the controversy is not going away.

Has Steve Jackson ever commented on the conspiricy theory surrounding the game? If so, can you reprint it here electronically, or present a link to it?

Thanks guys, I'd love to read an in depth interview with SJ on this topic.

Cheers, Mat
ElderGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: So tell me - has SJ ever commented on the "conspiracy" behind the Illuminati game

I believe he has said, "Fnord." ;)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:21 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: So tell me - has SJ ever commented on the "conspiracy" behind the Illuminati game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderGnome View Post
Has Steve Jackson ever commented on the conspiricy theory surrounding the game?
SJG has published an FAQ on this. You have to trawl the site for it a bit, but here's a link.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
Anders

I've asked them sometime, because I've come across sites where they have reproduced cards and I wondered if that falls under 'fair use'. The impression I get is that they think the "conspiracy" theory a bother.

Last edited by Anders; 07-31-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
ElderGnome

Thanks guys (your link was helpful John). Looks like they are either part of the conspiracy or riding on the free publicity. Why not I guess, but I hope one day SJ will come out with the truth.
ElderGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I've asked them sometime, because I've come across sites where they have reproduced cards and I wondered if that falls under 'fair use'. The impression I get is that they think it's a bother.
IMHO, following the rules should never be a bother.

I believe this is the usual advice: If you spot a card image on a webpage, and the page doesn't have the disclaimer and links required by the Online Policy, you might want to bring to the site's owners' attention a little thing called "copyright"... or, if it's a flagrant violation of copyright, let netcell know. (There's a link to netcell on the Online Policy page.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Anders

Sorry, I was unclear. Not that reporting is a bother, that the "conspiracy" noises are a bother.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
trooper6

Um...ElderGnome. There is no actual conspiracy. And SJGames isn't riding the free publicity of some silly conspiracy theory cooked up after they made their game.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

The whole Illuminati game family is a spoof of conspiracy theories. The fact that some believers in those theories can't see this just makes it funnier.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Sure, laugh and believe it's all only a game. That's exactly what they want you to think. "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." And so Steve Jackson has been one of their greatest tools, if not members.

Come to think of it, Steve probably is Keyser Soze. That bit with Kobayashi and the ship always struck me as having come right out of an RPG.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fnord