Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #141
HeatDeath

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You've seen New Orleans, right? :-)
Pfft! New Orleans is totally unrealistic! https://twitter.com/jameslsutter/sta...ntasy-world%2F
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #142
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo View Post
Shadekeep, Shamat is a really impressive tool! Thank you for all of the thoughtful work that has gone into it.

I am working on a project which makes use of maps generated by Shamat, and I wonder if you would clarify one aspect of the SKMR format. How do I interpret the three values in the MHEX directive?

Thank you!
Neat, I'd like to hear more about your project when you get a chance!

The three values are essentially the three axes along which the megahexes can be positioned. The first value is the X value, or column; the second value is the Y value, or row; and the third value is the shift value, or offset. The overlayMegahexes() function in the code uses these three values to determine where to begin drawing the first megahex, with all other megahexes positioned organically after that one.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #143
heruca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
The three values are essentially the three axes along which the megahexes can be positioned. The first value is the X value, or column; the second value is the Y value, or row; and the third value is the shift value, or offset. The overlayMegahexes() function in the code uses these three values to determine where to begin drawing the first megahex, with all other megahexes positioned organically after that one.
Nice! I'm currently trying to solve this very problem, so that my mapping app can have megahex support. Got any pseudo-code you could share?

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #144
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca View Post
Nice! I'm currently trying to solve this very problem, so that my mapping app can have megahex support. Got any pseudo-code you could share?
Certainly. I hope the below is clear, let me know if you have any questions. The pseudocode presumes a method for drawing a single megahex at a given X/Y position, and each X/Y coordinate represents a single hex on the map.

There are two functions, one of which draws a contiguous "row" of megahexes, and the other which fills the map with such rows. I realise now that I should probably also include the ability to change the "grain" of those rows. Currently each subsequent megahex is placed to the upper-right of the previous megahex, but an equally valid grain is the next megahex to the lower-right. This should be fairly trivial to add in the next release.

Code:
drawMegahexes(initX, initY, initOffset) {
	x = initX;
	y = initY;
	offset  = initOffset;
	while(y < mapheight + 6) {
		drawMegahexRow(x, y, offset);
		if(x == -1) {
			x = 1;
			y += 2;
			offset = 0;
		}
		else if(x == 1) {
			x = 0;
			y += 3;
			offset = 1;
		}
		else if(x == 0) {
			x = -1;
			y += 2;
			offset = 0;
		}
	}
}

drawMegahexRow(x, y, offset) {
	step = 0;
	stepBias = offset;
	loopRise = 0;
	shiftv = 0;
	while(x < mapwidth + 2) {
		drawMegahex(x, y - (step + stepBias >= 6 ? 3 : (step + stepBias >= 4 ? 2 : (step + stepBias >= 2 ? 1 : 0))) + loopRise, shiftv);
		drawMegahex(x, y - (step + stepBias >= 6 ? 3 : (step + stepBias >= 4 ? 2 : (step + stepBias >= 2 ? 1 : 0))) + loopRise, shiftv);
		x += 3;
		step++;
		if(step > 5) { step = 0; x--; stepBias = Math.abs(stepBias - 1); shiftv = -stepBias; if(stepBias == 0) { loopRise--; } }
		else { shiftv = Math.abs(shiftv) - 1; }
	}
}
There's probably a more elegant way to write all that conditional logic that determines where the next row offsets, but it works for now.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #145
heruca

Thanks a lot, Shadekeep! I'll let you know how it works out.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #146
Shadekeep

Ha, and just looking at the code I posted, I already see one simplification. This chained ternary:

(step + stepBias >= 6 ? 3 : (step + stepBias >= 4 ? 2 : (step + stepBias >= 2 ? 1 : 0))

Could be rewritten:

Math.floor((step + stepBias) / 2)

As long as (step + stepBias) never goes above 6 or goes negative, that logic should be sound. And I'm pretty sure both cases are true. I'll test it out.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #147
Shadekeep

Yep, I can confirm that the Math.floor() version works fine. Also, for some reason the drawMegahex function appears twice in the pseudocode. It should only be there once. Here's the updated and corrected drawMegahexRow code:

Code:
drawMegahexRow(x, y, offset) {
	step = 0;
	stepBias = offset;
	loopRise = 0;
	shiftv = 0;
	while(x < mapwidth + 2) {
		drawMegahex(x, y - Math.floor((step + stepBias) / 2) + loopRise, shiftv);
		x += 3;
		step++;
		if(step > 5) { step = 0; x--; stepBias = Math.abs(stepBias - 1); shiftv = -stepBias; if(stepBias == 0) { loopRise--; } }
		else { shiftv = Math.abs(shiftv) - 1; }
	}
}
Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #148
Tolenkar

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #149
Shadekeep

Finally got the Shadekeep site ready for its debut. You can get the latest version of Shamat from there, as well as download the standalone version. Here's a direct link to the home page for Shamat:

http://shadekeep.com/shamat.html

I'll be working on the usage documentation next, but most of you here are already familiar enough with the program's operation.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #150
heruca

Excellent, congrats on the site and the release!