Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Henchman99942

Default Fuel Power Equivalencies

Has anyone guesstimated the ratio or equivalency between a power tool that requires liquid fuel, and one using power cells?

1 gallon of fuel = ??? Power cell (s)

This is a fuel powered High-Tech tool as a TL9 version.

Air Compressor (TL6). Consumes 1 gallon of gasoline per hour. Halve weight at TL8. $100, 125 lbs. LC4.

I see a TL9 version using Power Cells.
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Fuel Power Equivalencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
Has anyone guesstimated the ratio or equivalency between a power tool that requires liquid fuel, and one using power cells?

Air Compressor (TL6). Consumes 1 gallon of gasoline per hour. Halve weight at TL8. $100, 125 lbs. LC4.

I see a TL9 version using Power Cells.
I gather that you "want" a TL9 power cell version rather thna you currently see one?

You'd need the rating of the fuel-burning engine for the HT version in KW (or even HP which you'd convert to KW) as well as run time. Then ahving the that information you'd need to get the semi-secret values of UT-style Power Cells in KW seconds. There's one set of possibly correct information in Infinite Worlds.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
Has anyone guesstimated the ratio or equivalency between a power tool that requires liquid fuel, and one using power cells? .
GURPS "Power Cells" run anywhere from 2 to a few hundred MJ/kg depending on the TL, application, and edition of the rules you are looking at. Gasoline burned in air (and therefore not counting the weight of the air) runs about 45 MJ/kg thermal, but once you add in conversion efficiencies you aren't likely to get 15 MJ/kg electrical out of it.

You can usually replace the fuel consumption of anything with the something in the vicinity of the same weight of (non-nuclear) power cells and stay somewhere in suspension of disbelief territory. For TL9 cells, which tend to on the physically plausible end, it's probably more like 5 to 10 times the weight of the fuel.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
GURPS "Power Cells" run anywhere from 2 to a few hundred MJ/kg depending on the TL, application, and edition of the rules you are looking at. Gasoline burned in air (and therefore not counting the weight of the air) runs about 45 MJ/kg thermal, but once you add in conversion efficiencies you aren't likely to get 15 MJ/kg electrical out of it.

You can usually replace the fuel consumption of anything with the something in the vicinity of the same weight of (non-nuclear) power cells and stay somewhere in suspension of disbelief territory. For TL9 cells, which tend to on the physically plausible end, it's probably more like 5 to 10 times the weight of the fuel.
Whilst we're at it, does anyone know what sort of efficiency you can expect from a gasoline fuel cell? I'm guessing somewhere above that of a gasoline powered electro-mechanical generator but well below theoretical...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Whilst we're at it, does anyone know what sort of efficiency you can expect from a gasoline fuel cell? I'm guessing somewhere above that of a gasoline powered electro-mechanical generator but well below theoretical...
At the moment, I don't think there is a good idea for the chemistry of a gasoline fuel cell. Most concepts really want hydrogen at the electrode, and cracking hydrogen out of a semi-random mix of 6 to 12 carbon hydrocarbons is going to be challenging.

That said, good fuel cell concepts tend to be something like twice as efficient as internal combustion, and at least a little better than combustion turbines, so 50 or 60% efficient is probably a pretty reasonable guess.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
At the moment, I don't think there is a good idea for the chemistry of a gasoline fuel cell. Most concepts really want hydrogen at the electrode, and cracking hydrogen out of a semi-random mix of 6 to 12 carbon hydrocarbons is going to be challenging.
There's a modest amount of research on diesel fuel cells, though it's basically a two step process where step 1 is to crack some fuel for hydrogen (usually with CO or CO2 as a byproduct) and step 2 is using the hydrogen in a fuel cell.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Kax

One thing that's looking rather good for this is purified ammonia and a reformer on a H2 fuel cell. Liquid ammonia has a higher hydrogen density than liquid hydrogen, and the byproduct is N2. The only real problem at the moment is that the reformer is pretty big at the moment, so you won't see a vehicle with a reformer on it.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Anthony

Incidentally, fundamentally a battery is equivalent to a power plant with a built-in (normally non-air-breathing) not easily refillable fuel tank, so your best case is generally that the batteries match the weight of the engine plus its fuel tank, not the weight of the fuel tank.