Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #41
owenmp

Default Re: More info on the upcoming Pocket Box project.

ColBosch;

Correct. The last version of the rules in Pocket Box Car Wars was Car Wars Third Edition Revised, published in 1983 or 1984.

The Car Wars Deluxe Edition Rulebook was first published in 1985. Dueltrack was also published in 1985 after the Car Wars Deluxe Edition Rulebook. Dueltrack mentioned (Pocket Box) Car Wars or Car Wars Deluxe Edition was required to use the supplement.

All three of the Car Wars Pocket Boxes are worth owning because their rulebooks have small sections not reprinted elsewhere. Example include improvised pedestrian weapons in Pocket Box Crash City, and the "Truckers' Terminology and CB Slang (Circa 2033)" sheet in Pocket Box Truck Stop.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 PM   #42
industrialchild

Thanks Owen! That's very good to know that about those three Car Wars pocket boxes!
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #43
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
ColBosch;
All three of the Car Wars Pocket Boxes are worth owning because their rulebooks have small sections not reprinted elsewhere. Example include improvised pedestrian weapons in Pocket Box Crash City, and the "Truckers' Terminology and CB Slang (Circa 2033)" sheet in Pocket Box Truck Stop.
There are four Car Wars Pocket Boxes. Everyone forgets about Boat Wars...
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #44
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
There are four Car Wars Pocket Boxes. Everyone forgets about Boat Wars...
Many people forget about the zip-loc bag as well.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #45
owenmp

I did not mention Pocket Box Boat Wars because it appears it will not be available during the Kickstarter campaign.

Either Pocket Box Boat Wars or Boat Wars Deluxe Edition has some content, besides sample vehicles, that was presented in CWC 2.5. One notable item is the Micro Boat Power Plant.

The bright green Pocket Box for Pocket Box The Awful Green Things from Outer Space was very cool to see in a game store.

Ziplock Bag Car Wars is also worth owning for historical reasons, if a copy can be found. The full color front cover is attached to one of the multi-folded sheets.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #46
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
I did not mention Pocket Box Boat Wars because it appears it will not be available during the Kickstarter campaign.
That is not an accurate statement. SJ Games has stated that more games and expansions will be added throughout the campaign.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #47
LokRobster

He did say “appears” :)

Owen’s accuracy is Legendary!

A more precise statement would be “Boat Wars hasn’t been announced as of Feb1”.

I joined CW in the Deluxe Box + DuelTrack era, my best friend bought CW Deluxe and i bought the DuelTrack Box. Combined we put together some awesome battles. So this KickStarter will be my first Pocket Box.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #48
industrialchild

Heck yeah LokRobster! I can't say I grew up with Car Wars but I recently discovered how truly awesome it is and I even purchased a PDF of both Deluxe and DuelTrack recently!

Slowly but surely making my way through DuelTrack. I'm curious LokRobster, would you and your buddy ever take the racing cars through cities and/or arenas or would you saving those strictly for the track? I just ask out of curiosity. Even though the lore says you won't usually see racing cars outside of the track, I can't help but want to try taking a few of them out for a dangerous spin elsewhere!
Old 02-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #49
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
Heck yeah LokRobster! I can't say I grew up with Car Wars but I recently discovered how truly awesome it is and I even purchased a PDF of both Deluxe and DuelTrack recently!

Slowly but surely making my way through DuelTrack. I'm curious LokRobster, would you and your buddy ever take the racing cars through cities and/or arenas or would you saving those strictly for the track? I just ask out of curiosity. Even though the lore says you won't usually see racing cars outside of the track, I can't help but want to try taking a few of them out for a dangerous spin elsewhere!
Make sure that you use the version of the stats in the Compendium - the ones in Dueltrack were somewhat... overpowered, particularly in the weight capacity.

On a number of occasions, an Indy car has shown up in my Car Wars tournament finals, facing off against other cars. They've even fared reasonably well - a side mounted armament, sloped armor, and a high speed with a high HC makes for a tough car to hit.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #50
industrialchild

Thank you Magesmiley! This is very good to know! I will definitely keep that in mind!