Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: What will you not allow?

I do most of my gaming over IRC, so it's easier for the group to "crossplay" both ways. There's no "allow" or "disallow" involved; if your character is female, it doesn't matter if you're a man or woman.

Now, I've weirded out a guy at a tabletop game when my character was female; he was openly questioning my sexuality with how easily and convincingly (thanks to my IRC crossplaying and growing up the only guy in a household of women) I was able to get into my character, right down to altering my voice enough to sound fairly feminine when I went IC. If there's someone in the group that's slightly closed-minded about such things, or even unused to and not sure about it, such IC-crossplay can create OOC tension, at least at first. (By the third session like this, he was getting used to it.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #22
Litvyak

Character-wise I can't think of anything that I would blanket ban regardless of genre or setting. Obviously specific campaigns will their own standards for what is acceptable... sometimes the Sadistic Meglomaniac Trickster with Bloodlust (6 or less) will work just fine, other times it will very much be unacceptable.

Since it's been brought up, though, I will say that crossplay is always welcome at my table. Some of the best campaigns I've played in have had a mixed gender group of players with everybody crossplaying, so I can't even imagine restricting it.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #23
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
This is also because Im sick and tired of the `reluctant hero` where the player wants ME to be the one to constantly force them into the hero role without it fitting into the game-story already there.
Yeah, it's like 'It got annoying when Thomas Covenant did it and you're not Stephen R Donaldson'.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:57 AM   #24
Boomerang

I like weirdness magnet when I am GM, I prefer it to be one in all in though.

I discourage blatantly evil characters or ones who are unlikely to work well with the group or setting. I don't really care whether the gender of the character matches the player.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #25
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
When I first started running campaigns that players had chosen by filling out prospectuses, I held a character creation for my first RuneQuest campaign. One of the players asked me, "You allow people to play characters of the other sex?" in tones that suggested surprise and perhaps concern. And I looked at him blankly and said, "Allow?" I really had never thought of disallowing it.

I've never restricted this, and really it's never been a problem. Except with the one player I refer to, who went on to play in a lot of my campaigns, but who has been observed (a) to roleplay attraction to female characters played by female players he finds appealing and (b) not to roleplay attraction to similar characters played by male players. This has caused reactions ranging from amusement to irony to irritation, especially among my many women players.
My take on cross-play is nuanced. I allow it, provided the player isn't going to use it as an excuse to quick out anyone else at the gaming table. However, I won't generally run situations in which sexual tension becomes an in-character issue.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:55 AM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

The thing I haven't allowed, although a player wanted it, was the Cursed disadvantage. I didn't want to have to keep working it in, thinking of new ways to apply it, and generally taking trouble over it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 AM   #27
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The thing I haven't allowed, although a player wanted it, was the Cursed disadvantage. I didn't want to have to keep working it in, thinking of new ways to apply it, and generally taking trouble over it.
I have come to feel that way about Weirdness Magnet too.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #28
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Like some others...I don't have a rule like "No evil characters ever." Instead, I have rules for one particular campaign. My main rule is: make a character that fits the campaign frame.

If we are doing a grim darkevil campaign? You can't make a Lawful-Good Paladin.

If we are doing a team based campaign where everyone is a doctor in an ER in Chicago...you can't play a wandering murder-hobo.

If it is a campaign where I'm going for a psychological realism feel...you can't play an 2D flat archetype sort. Conversely , if we are going for a 2D archetype pulp feel...where people are white hats and there isn't much internal angst...then you can't play an angsty gray hat.

Basically, make a character that will work in the game and will work with the other players.
Yep this pretty much nails it for me!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #29
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
And I had another who would just kind of sit around being mumbly unless I (figuratively or literally) had ninjas attack his character. I found their characters just about impossible to integrate into my campaigns.
For some people, the combat mini-game is the fun part of any RPG. Nothing wrong with that - it's a hobby *rooted* in war gaming after all. If your style doesn't support it, sure maybe neither of you are going to have fun in your game, but I do usually try to accommodate players who really want a fight.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #30
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
I feel the rulebook description of Unluckiness kind of messes up by giving missing a die roll as an example of bad stuff that could happen. It's about the most boring possible way to implement "things go wrong for the character" - there are plenty of much more interesting ways to make Unluckiness come into play.
Sure, but the problem with those is they slide into Cursed - doing much more harm to the PC than the disadvantage is worth. The arbitrarily messes up one important die roll per session approach tends to set a natural limit on how horrible the disadvantage can get.