Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
equals

Default Add item to weapon list

How do I add an item to my character's weapon list in GURPS Character Assistant?

My guy has a shovel and in the Low-Tech book it states I can use a shovel as an improvised weapon, how do I make the shovel show up as a weapon?
equals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Add item to weapon list

TLDR:
Code:
reach     =   1,2*
damage    =   sw+4
skillused =   SK:Two-Handed Axe/Mace-2
parry     =   0U
minst     =   13‡
Full explanation:

Equipment requires certain specific tags to be recognized as weapons by GCA, so all you'd really have to add is two tags to the shovel to get it to appear in the weapon lists, but you'll probably want to add some others.

The required tags are reach() and damage(). Shovel says to base things on Maul, so I'll do that in the examples below, but you can adjust as necessary.

Click on your shovel, and click on the Edit button. Then click on the Full Edit Window button. This will give you a lot of different tags, some of which are used and some of which aren't. (If you click on the Advanced... button here, it'll open another window showing just the tags actually in use, which I generally find more useful, but isn't required here.)

Click on Add Tag.

In the Tag field, enter reach and in the Tag Value field enter 1,2* (same as maul).

Click on OK.

Click on Add Tag.

In the Tag field, enter damage and in the Tag Value field enter sw+4 (maul-1).

Click on OK.

Click on OK in the Edit Items dialog to return to the Simple Edit window. You should see the Hand Weapons information has appeared at the bottom of the window.

Now, you can go back and fill in the other tags to be complete, if you need to. This is important for getting the rest of the data to fill in correctly, and to correctly imitate the Maul if you want that.

Go back to the Full Edit Window.

Using Add Tag, add the following tags and their values; skillused() is from the book while the others are from the Maul data:

Code:
skillused =   SK:Two-Handed Axe/Mace-2
parry     =   0U
minst     =   13‡
(GCA won't show the weird character for minst() properly in the editor, but if you cut-n-paste it in, it should work.)

I think that's all of them.

Note that I don't know off the top of my head if parry() should be adjusted to reflect the improvised weapon status or not. If so, change the 0U to -1U or -2U or whatever it should be.

Likewise, if you want it to use a different skill, remember to subtract an additional -2 from the skillused() default you specify.

Click on OK to get back out when done, then OK on Simple Edit to keep all the changes you made, and you should be good to go. (Save your character, too.)

If you need to change things, it's usually easier to go all the way to Advanced Edit, since that will show all tags with values, and in alphabetical order to find them more easily.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
equals

Default Re: Add item to weapon list

Thanks, that was very helpful!
equals is offline   Reply With Quote