Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Mcoorlim

Default Pitch black

The basic set gives a -10 to combat attacks in pitch blackness. Does that transfer over to other sort of actions in the dark? Say, a first-aid roll, or an acrobatics roll to land from an unexpected fall when you're not sure exactly where the floor is?
Mcoorlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Pitch black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlumbenus View Post
The basic set gives a -10 to combat attacks in pitch blackness. Does that transfer over to other sort of actions in the dark? Say, a first-aid roll, or an acrobatics roll to land from an unexpected fall when you're not sure exactly where the floor is?
-10 is the standard "almost impossible" modifier. So if you think something has been made "almost impossible" by not being able to see, then use that.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Bruno

Default Re: Pitch black

I would definitely say that first aid without being able to see the injury, the victim, your equipment... should be virtually impossible, and the -10 would be 100% appropriate.

It's tricky enough unwrapping a bandaid without touching the sterile gauze bit when I can see, can you imagine trying to clean a wound without being able to see where it is? I mean, how would you even find it without sticking a finger in it and just contaminating things further, or aggravating injuries? You can't even evaluate the injury fully, you can't even examine the patient to see if they have other injuries they haven't noticed due to being distracted by their big problem (and shock and possible nerve damage/head injury).

I can't speak to the acrobatics, I know nothing about it. But any sort of skill that requires hand-eye co-ordination is going to be extraordinarily difficult.

Lockpicking has a separate Work By Touch technique, but that's a skill that assumes not being able to really get a good look at the situation in the first place.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote