Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #641
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post

O'Riley Filing System: You have developed and memorized a completely non-sensical (to others) way of keeping track of a large number of objects (personnel files, engine parts, magazines, whatever). You always know where each object was put and can retrieve it without a hassle, though if someone moved it you have no better chance of findig it than anyone else.
Arguably, this one could be a 0-point Feature, since presumably you're as quick with your own filing method as someone else would be with a more conventional one. The one advantage that might make it Perk-worthy is that an outsider can't easily figure out the system -- and even that might be able to be matched by a conventional filer who locks their desk and/or filing cabinet.

I could also see a case where this is a Quirk. Every newspaper has at least one guy who covers his desk with stacks of paper in a manner that only he understands. It works fine for him, but he invariably gets a -1 reaction from the fastidious and from anyone unlucky enough to have the next desk over.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #642
The Benj

Quote:
How about;
Reduce time to input commands?
Could be another instance of Efficient (gosh, I seem to be having to say that a LOT lately!), or some sort of Extra Option to make a Skill roll to multitask well/perform some sort of Ready/Concentrate action with those controls as a free action if you succeed.

Quote:
Reduce skill roll penalties when using the machine under pressure?
Also makes sense.

Quote:
Impose a familiarity penalty to use the skill without the specific interface?
It would have to have something pretty good as a positive for this to be worthwhile, otherwise this is a Quirk, not a Perk.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #643
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
I might alter it to this:
Zen State Applies to any one DX based skill. You have learned this skill to a point where it's performance is possible without thinking or mental effort. If, at the start of an action or combot scene, you use this skill exclusively - or techniques or defenses defaulted off this skill - your Basic Speed is counted as being 1.0 higher, for the purpose of determining your place in the turn sequence.
Things that mess with the turn sequence tend to be much more of a headache than they're worth. I'd strongly advise against this.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #644
Xilodel

Quote:
???

Interface Bond: You are proficient at operating a complex computer or machine interface (keyboard, game controller, etc.) to the point where you do not have to think about the interface at all. Think touch typist or reflexive pilot.
What if it allowed you to operate your machine (somewhat) while unable to see?

For instance, you could hastily text a letter on your phone while keeping it in your pocket, or a pilot could find the "eject" button in his plane while blinded. Bear in mind your text may have a few typographical errors without a DX roll, and the pilot wouldn't necessarily be able to see where the plane was or how it was oriented where he ejected.
Xilodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #645
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Things that mess with the turn sequence tend to be much more of a headache than they're worth. I'd strongly advise against this.
Sounds like the voice of experience. Duly noted.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #646
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilodel View Post
What if it allowed you to operate your machine (somewhat) while unable to see?

For instance, you could hastily text a letter on your phone while keeping it in your pocket, or a pilot could find the "eject" button in his plane while blinded. Bear in mind your text may have a few typographical errors without a DX roll, and the pilot wouldn't necessarily be able to see where the plane was or how it was oriented where he ejected.
Ah, now that's promising. It is a common adventure trope that an engineer is so highly-trained that he knows his engine room by feel, or a pilot his cockpit.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #647
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Sounds like the voice of experience. Duly noted.
It is. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to deal with the ramifications of a character transforming into an Alternate Form that has a different Speed (on of the PCs in my game turns into a horrible swarm of spiders; they're pretty fast).
On the one hand, I don't like the hassle of the turn order potentially changing (and potentially gaining him what amounts to a free turn if he jumps ahead of someone) but I don't want him to not get the benefits of being faster.
As turn order is largely irrelevant after the first couple of seconds, I'm mostly settled on just using the Speed of whichever form in which he starts the combat. If he kicks things off by dissolving into a bunch of arachnids, I'm totally cool with him getting a speed edge, but if he's doing it reactively it's probably less of a boost. *shrug*
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #648
Achilles09

Expressive Limbs: You can make gestures with your feet and they'll be understood just as well as if you were making gestures with your hands.

Stalker Intuition: This applies to one person. Whenever that person is getting hit on anywhere in the world, you know it.
Achilles09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #649
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles09 View Post
Expressive Limbs: You can make gestures with your feet and they'll be understood just as well as if you were making gestures with your hands.
That's...just...weird. What?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #650
Achilles09

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
That's...just...weird. What?
I gave this to one of my players who has a high Gesture skill. It seemed appropriate since he gets tied down/tied up a lot
Achilles09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks