Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #41
Icelander

Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Claiming that there is an "off" hand for the purposes of unarmed combat is fine as a house rule, but definitely not what the entire body of rules published to date supports.
Please, optional rule. 'House rule' means something never published.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #42
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Please, optional rule. 'House rule' means something never published.
True, there are optional rules in Martial Arts that say to apply the -4 to unarmed combat, too, if you're going for harsh – possibly starkly, excessively, trying-to-make-a-point harsh – realism.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #43
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Wait, boring rules forbid DWA? Why and how? How is it texted out?
No, DWA is not forbidden in non-cinematic games, only improving the technique above default. This is made clear in the text of the technique.

As for why? I'm not sure. Plenty of exceptions exist in the real world, and these are represented in Martial Arts by liberal use of the Unusual Training style perk to allow it in specific styles in specific circumstances (usually targeting a single individual with both blows.)
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

No, DWA is not forbidden in non-cinematic games, only improving the technique above default. This is made clear in the text of the technique.

As for why? I'm not sure. Plenty of exceptions exist in the real world, and these are represented in Martial Arts by liberal use of the Unusual Training style perk to allow it in specific styles in specific circumstances (usually targeting a single individual with both blows.)
Well, you've answered your own question. DWA as written gives you two strikes, one with either hand, that you can use however you want – in particular, you can attack two adjacent foes. Most real-world DWAs are specifically aimed at one person. In fact, most are really two-handed Combinations and not DWAs per se at all.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Typo. I meant RW Boxing rules.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #46
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Typo. I meant RW Boxing rules.
Oh! In that case, I don't know.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #47
joppeknol

Just a quick note to thank everybody who has responded to my questions.

I think I'll houserule the 'only 1 step in a turn'. I understand that it might be realistic, but I really want to avoid 'going back a yard', 'moving forward a yard in a second' for 10 turns in a row (I think I know my players ;)). I also like the idea of giving a penalty when someone is in the ropes.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
Just a quick note to thank everybody who has responded to my questions.

I think I'll houserule the 'only 1 step in a turn'. I understand that it might be realistic, but I really want to avoid 'going back a yard', 'moving forward a yard in a second' for 10 turns in a row (I think I know my players ;)). I also like the idea of giving a penalty when someone is in the ropes.
Why is that a thing you want to avoid? What behavior are you trying to encourage?

Also, you ought to see blood in rather less than 10 turns. For a pair of equally-skilled fencers, with combat reflexes, making Attack maneuvers and retreating parries, there still ought to be almost a 13% chance of a hit per attack. It's not impossible to get more defensive than that, but it's pretty extreme. And that's with neither side trying anything exotic or risky.

EDIT: Actually, make that more than 13%, and mostly critical hits. Crit-hunting with 16 skill seems to be better than Deceptive Attacking further in that setup.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 08-04-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #49
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Why is that a thing you want to avoid? What behavior are you trying to encourage?
I was planning on using a combat map, and I would like to avoid moving two peons for every turn.

I think a nice thing for the 1 step per turn rule is that the guy who steps in first, hits first, but cannot add a retreating dodge. The net effect is I think that it makes a guy on the offensive more likely to stay on the offensive (he can't retreat.). The guy who retreats has an advantage until he hits the ropes.

Of course, this is my idea, and I am definitely not experienced. On the other hand, I don't think the game will suffer much if I make the wrong decision here.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #50
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
I was planning on using a combat map, and I would like to avoid moving two peons for every turn.

I think a nice thing for the 1 step per turn rule is that the guy who steps in first, hits first, but cannot add a retreating dodge. The net effect is I think that it makes a guy on the offensive more likely to stay on the offensive (he can't retreat.). The guy who retreats has an advantage until he hits the ropes.

Of course, this is my idea, and I am definitely not experienced. On the other hand, I don't think the game will suffer much if I make the wrong decision here.
That'll be fine, many GMs do that to avoid that whole retreating letting you move more than normal type of thing.

The thing is that realistically with boxing and many other martial arts like fencing and other swordfighting you can take many small shuffle steps in order to close in and retreat, weaving back and forth on attack and defense, though none of those small shuffle steps would actually add up to a full "Step".

Both the Retreat and the Attack Steps in game are very generous for playability reasons so as to allow people to more easily see the movement, but a normal boxing or fencing Retreat in reality is a matter of inches, not of feet.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, boxing, rules question, two-handed combinations, unarmed combat