Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
Coinage

Default Granting INT to Unthinking Object

Is there an Advantage or Ability that can grant Intelligence to an otherwise Unintelligent Object? Would it be a version of Affliction?
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Harald387

Default Re: Granting INT to Unthinking Object

GURPS Magic offers Independence and Initiative, which are specific to 'granting the semblance of intellect to an illusory thing' but at least offer some decent guidelines for what might be reasonable.

"Independence" is nothing more than allowing the subject to follow programmed responses. This would be best modeled with Control (Powers p.90) with levels of Persistent and Extended Duration, and isn't really imparting any intelligence at all - it's just letting the subject react according to the programmed instructions.

"Initiative" is much more complex, and I'd model it with an Affliction granting IQ and a Cosmic Modular Ability that the user could fill with skills they had. This wouldn't impart any ability to communicate if the subject isn't already capable of that; if you want a spell that makes a talking rock, you're probably going to need to give it a mouth at the very least, or also afflict it with SOME form of communication ability.

"Grant IQ to an IQ 0 object" is a bit too broad to cover with any one power. What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
"Initiative" is much more complex, and I'd model it with an Affliction granting IQ and a Cosmic Modular Ability that the user could fill with skills they had. This wouldn't impart any ability to communicate if the subject isn't already capable of that; if you want a spell that makes a talking rock, you're probably going to need to give it a mouth at the very least, or also afflict it with SOME form of communication ability.

"Grant IQ to an IQ 0 object" is a bit too broad to cover with any one power. What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?
I think that the "Initiative" is what I am looking for. So, you're saying it would be basically Affliction which grants an Attribute Bonus, specifically for IQ, with the Permanent Enhancement. If the target has an INT of 0 (like a rock), then it would still grant IQ, but other advantages or modifiers would have to be added to make the rock to be able to do anything else.

Basically, it would be an Attribute Bonus, as discussed here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=166210

Last edited by Coinage; 11-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
I think that the "Initiative" is what I am looking for. So, you're saying it would be basically Affliction which grants an Attribute Bonus, specifically for IQ, with the Permanent Enhancement. If the target has an INT of 0 (like a rock), then it would still grant IQ, but other advantages or modifiers would have to be added to make the rock to be able to do anything else.
Not sure what the price is, but you'd definitely want to add a limitation along the lines of "only on objects". Wouldn't save you too many points when you're spending hundreds of % on advantages and 300% on Permanent, but you should still do it.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Coinage

Got it, thx
Old 11-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Black Leviathan

I keep thinking of the "I have no mouth yet I must scream" scenario. Then I started thinking about what suddenly having awareness of the world and also the power to speak would be like. I imagine there would be a lot of questions. Also I figure art would be very angry for being objectified, kind of like waking up and finding someone staring at your naked body.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Would it be a version of Affliction?
Yes, Affliction would do it. But remember, Objects have no senses, so you'd need to afflict those too, and no ability to act, which you'd need to afflict as well. It's doable, but expensive.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I keep thinking of the "I have no mouth yet I must scream" scenario. Then I started thinking about what suddenly having awareness of the world and also the power to speak would be like. I imagine there would be a lot of questions. Also I figure art would be very angry for being objectified, kind of like waking up and finding someone staring at your naked body.
Art gets off easy...
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Not really a lot of point to it. All the object will have time for is to think "Oh no, not again," before landing in the crater made by a falling whale.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
Anthony

The other thing you can do is have a summonable ally that occupies objects, though this isn't especially easy to implement (some form of morph, possibly).