Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
tHEhERETIC

Default [OOC] In Nomine: the Mile Higher Club

Main action takes place in and around Los Angeles, headed towards Victorville, San Bernardino County, for the moment.
Potential new players:

In Nomine: The Mile Higher Club is accepting players at this time. Angels only--no soldiers, demons, or ethereals please. Servitors of any Superior except Michael and Gabriel are allowed, though S. of Khalid, Marc, and Laurence will require the blessing of the current players before entering.
'Extreme' concepts are encouraged--uptight Dominican, flighty Creationer, etc. Malakim are okay, depending on their particular oaths and how strict their definition of 'evil'.

There are a number of "NPC's" that could become pregenerated PC's. They would be human and not celestial.

Contact me in the OOC thread, or in PM

Character creation i.e. points and other crunchiness is now highlighted in red below. Please make sure to read the whole post--this is to clarify what I expect, not to leave the impression that the rest is filler. "Minor" additions in blue thereafter.--th

Game: In Nomine
Setting: modern day Los Angeles and environs, and on commercial aircraft
Books needed: IN Core (though if you're quick-witted and willing to ask questions you could almost function without it)
Books suggested: GM's guide, Superiors 1 and 3 books, Corporeal Players Guide, Revelations 4: Fall of the Malakim, Ethereal Players Guide, Authentic Thaumaturgy.
House rules: For the PbP there will be few challenges and thus no immediate need to send a character sheet anywhere. I will accept three posts from any one character before I get fussy about seeing your stats.
I don't have canon memorized and I don't expect anyone else to. Have fun. If I'm way off base on a game mechanic I don't mind if you call me on it, but please don't nit pick. Lawyers go to Hell :D

Contact me at theheretik at earthlink dot net, please be certain to put "In Nomine" somewhere in your subject line. You may also post in my LiveJournal community In Nomine Live
A live/chat game component runs approximately monthly--watch this thread.

Stats and mechanics: Angels, soldiers, saints, mortals--have at it. Mortals with strange powers or massive influence should run them by me first. Zombis, undeads, ghosts, gods, ???--please run them by me before posting. Characteristics should be base character levels, skills up to 12 points, songs/distinctions/non-innate attunements no more than three total. Relics, artifacts and the like should be run past me first. No Celestial weapons please. In addition, take one average Role. Celestials may not take attunements that are specific to other bands/choirs, i.e. all band/choir attunements are Restricted for MHC. SJG has a lovely dice roller http://www.sjgames.com/dice/ , and I usually keep 4d13 (aka a deck of cards) by my desk for randomizing.

PbP Mile Higher Club is linked to an occasional chat game, and a player may play either or both. If you're playing only the chat session, please warn me ahead of time.

Tone, influence, etc.
My background is primarily in LARP, so expect a game to focus on interaction between player characters. Hack and slash will not be tolerated--if I wanted to play an MMO I wouldn't be here. Humor is welcome, charm is wonderful, and dark humor is good. Drama among characters is welcome. If you want to see an excellent example of that, pick up Alfred Hitchcock's "The Lifeboat".
Other movies/books that influence me in things like this:
The Prophecy, at least the first three of them.
Supernatural, the television show on the CW
Jericho, television series set in post-apocalyptic Kansas
Brimstone, a show back in 1998 with John Glover as the Devil.
other movies: Hellraiser, Don Juan de Marco, Coffee and Cigarettes, Liar Liar, Suicide Kings, Devil's Advocate, Constantine,
Death Note and Death Note:The Last Name (Japanese with English subtitles--in US theatres August and October '08 in English dub, soon to be available dubbed on DVD).
works of Ambrose Bierce, Ray Bradbury, and Neil Gaiman
Army @ Love comic book series.
music of Gary Numan and VNV Nation
Thelema and other works of Aleister Crowley

Opening premise, short version: Your character travels by commercial air, and finds a peculiar message tucked in the pocket of the seat in front of him/her. He/she may reply, but needs to be aware that anyone on that plane can potentially read it. Replies should not only include the content of the message but its medium i.e. "Scribbled on page 34 of the boring in-flight magazine in front of seat 26D." There may or may not be other player characters on board, but you won't know if you don't look for them.

Opening premise, long version. Copied from above-mentioned LJ:

The Mile Higher Club

Field work can be tedious and full of hassles. You certainly miss just zipping over to a friend in the Heavens (or Hell, though that’s its own set of hassles). Here you have to get a phone number, get a phone, and hope they answer—at best. But it’s part of the job, and the most important job there is. Because The War in the end is about these souls, and you can’t save souls if you don’t understand them. So here you are, in an immersion course in Humanity.

Part of understanding humanity is these hassles, and a feeling something-like-loneliness when you can’t get through. Sure, with your Role you have friends, but they’re different. They don’t—mostly can’t—know the real you. What you wouldn’t give to sit across the table with someone else who’s been in The Presence, someone who knows what it’s like to have a Word even if you don’t talk about it.

Somebody understands. He—or she?—left a message on the back of seat 35C on the flight from LA to SFO. “Netzach, Mile Higher Club, welcome” was all it said. Sure enough though, if you laid the Tree of Life over the plane’s seating plan, you were sitting right at Netzach. You smiled, summoned up a bit of Essence, and added your own coda. “Binah, received” and on your way out tucked a little essence in the pocket of seat 12B.

You stepped just a little lighter that day, and promised yourself to take that flight again sometime.

Current action takes place in Los Angeles and its environs, though the plot may take back to the air or to other places in order to be logical and entertaining. The current villain is nomadic by nature but LA is a big place. I'm the GM who has to adapt to the players, not the other way around. In theory, anyway.

Master links: Angelfire main page

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 01-21-2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Updating top
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Mile Higher Club

Character sheets for MS Word available at
http://community.livejournal.com/innominelive
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
ladyarcana55

This sounds like fun!

I have never done a game by post before so would you minds explaining it to me a bit? Also how would we have our character proposals? Are there any basic parameters I should keep in mind? And also, I am completely unfamiliar with In Nomine. What exactly is it? Please let me know.

Thanks!
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

((This is where I put on my "shameless shill" hat and direct you cheerfully to http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine , yes? The Core Rules are available as PDF from e23, and there is a free "Lite" sample adventure here, which contains stripped-down rules.))
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I'm a little confused. Posts will be messages left (somehow) on this same plane, yes? Why would the rules even be needed? There isn't going to be any actual gaming is there?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
I'm a little confused. Posts will be messages left (somehow) on this same plane, yes? Why would the rules even be needed? There isn't going to be any actual gaming is there?

At first, just for the notes, mostly no rules needed. I say mostly because you players are going to specify how the messages are left, and I'm going to decide whether that will have unforeseen consequences.
If characters decide to actually meet each other, this could possibly involve rules. We could run that on the board, in chat, or the two players could run it among themselves.

Yep, I could have been a whole lot clearer on that point. I've been doing LARP for so long I sometimes forget how other things work.

August 19th, chat game, definitely will need some rules. DarkMistress is setting up a chat space for us, and I have to touch base with her on details.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Puck

How should we send you our character sheets? Email? PM? Post them here?
Also, where's the game set?
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
At first, just for the notes, mostly no rules needed. I say mostly because you players are going to specify how the messages are left, and I'm going to decide whether that will have unforeseen consequences.
If characters decide to actually meet each other, this could possibly involve rules. We could run that on the board, in chat, or the two players could run it among themselves.
Oh, well. I was interested in the casual note leaving game but I don't have the time or the inclination for a chat game.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Oh, well. I was interested in the casual note leaving game but I don't have the time or the inclination for a chat game.
You can do both or either--if you're sure all you want is the note kind, just send me a character description (angel/demon, choir/band, Superior, and concept).

This and character sheets send to my e-mail theheretik at earthlink dot net. You may post them here if you prefer.

PbP set on an airliner. Chat game set--probably--at a large and festive event set in a tent. With catering. :cool:
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
You can do both or either--if you're sure all you want is the note kind, just send me a character description (angel/demon, choir/band, Superior, and concept).

This and character sheets send to my e-mail theheretik at earthlink dot net. You may post them here if you prefer.

PbP set on an airliner. Chat game set--probably--at a large and festive event set in a tent. With catering. :cool:
I'm still slightly puzzled, the chat game will be set in one room? I suppose when I pictured a chat game I assumed it would be something more like Fiat Justitia, Ruit Caelum. Logs can be found here if you're interested.
http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~maya/nomine/fiat.html

I didn't play in that game, but lurked a bit and read the logs and it always struck me a very fun way to play.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in nomine