Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Blackguard

Default Chain Effect Modifier

I'm looking for a standardized way to build "chain" powers such as chain lightning using a well defined modifier. As far as I know there is no such official modifier unless it is in one of the Dungeon Fantasy books. If so, please give me a pointer to it. Otherwise, here is my proposal for Chain Effect.

Chain Effect +50%/Level
Chain Effect can be applied to any ranged single target advantage to which Area Effect can be applied. An advantage with the Chain Effect modifier can affect an additional target for each level of Chain Effect. The nearest target of the same type as the original target will always be the next target, excluding any target already affected by the ability. For example, targeting a table will cause the chain to jump to other nearby tables, while targeting a person will cause it to jump to other nearby people. It is up to the GM if nebulous types like "people" are allowed, or if more precise types such as "human" are necessary. If you wish more control over targets, take Selective Area.

If the advantage is a normal ranged attack, the next target in the chain must be within 1/2D range. Make a new attack with the old target as the origin for calculating all attack and defense modifiers. You can not target a hit location, though the chain will target the closest part of targets with an SM of 2 or higher. You also may not use any special attack rules, such as Deceptive Attack. If the attack misses or the target defends the chain ends and no additional targets are affected.

If the advantage is a Malediction, perform a new Quick Contest against the new target with distance measured from the previous target in the chain. If the new target resists or is immune, the chain ends. If you win the Quick Contest but failed your Will roll the chain ends.
This seems to me to be balanced against Area Effect, Cone, and Rapid Fire. I'm very much interested in other opinions.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules