Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
strepsiptera

Default sex change to repel seduction

In Munchkin Impossible the "discard clever disguise" card allows you to change your sex. Can a player use this card to repel a seduction by a player of the opposite sex who is using the "seduce enemy agent card"?
strepsiptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: sex change to repel seduction

No, because it isn't retroactive. In Munchkin, unless a card specifically says that it cancels a card or effect, cards and effects take place in the order they're invoked.

So, if he used Seduce Enemy Agent, it's too late for you to use Discard Clever Disguise, because you were the correct sex at the time he used the ability.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
StaticHamster

I can see a timing issue here.

The card requires no discards to use so even if he plays the card Discard Clever Disguise should be able to stop him from picking you if you play it before he selects you.

Of course it is true that once its been played on you and you are helping changing sex does not allow you to back out, although as it has been stated before helping doesn't mean you have to helpful.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticHamster View Post
I can see a timing issue here.

The card requires no discards to use so even if he plays the card Discard Clever Disguise should be able to stop him from picking you if you play it before he selects you.
If that happens, sure.

This is legal:

HIM: "I play Seduce Enemy Agent. I choose... let's see..."
YOU: "I Discard Clever Disguise! I'm a man now."
HIM: "Darn it!"

But so is this:

HIM: "I play Seduce Enemy Agent on Jim!"
YOU: "I... ah, darn."

There's no rule against declaring your target as you (or even before you) play a card. And it's not even being a munchkin -- if you know your target, it's only fair that you be allowed to declare it. Heck, in our games, it'd usually go more like this:

HIM: "Oh Jim? Thanks for the help! <throws card at Jim so he can read it>"

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
trekkie.chiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by strepsiptera View Post
In Munchkin Impossible the "discard clever disguise" card allows you to change your sex. Can a player use this card to repel a seduction by a player of the opposite sex who is using the "seduce enemy agent card"?
Well, to me the "discard clever disguise" card isn't just a typical "sex change" card because the card is stating that "you were that sex all along" you're just discarding your disguise of the opposite sex. So, it would work. i'm female and if my boyfriend (who at this point in the game we'll say is still male) plays the seduction card on me, i'll play the discard clever disguise card which is really saying "sorry, i just look like a really hot chick, let me take off my wig, dress, and heals and you'll see i'm really a guy." too bad so sad. you can't however play a straight up sex changing card if they play the seduction card on you though, because with that you would really be changing your sex. but for the card you're talking about, it's sort of a "haha fooled you" thing, happens at the bar from time to time in real life too, right?
trekkie.chiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Munchykin

In both cases you're still changing your perceived sex in the eyes of the person doing the seducing after you've already been seduced. They've already seduced you and whether you take off your clothes and prove you have different parts or curse yourself to the same effect their seduction has already taken over your mind. If they choose to still carry on a relationship with you with different parts, that's up to them, but you're already on the hook mentally.

Now if you can convincingly argue with your group that since you weren't the opposite sex to begin with and you shouldn't be effected, then good luck, but cards always take effect, and resolve, in the order they're played unless they specifically say they interrupt or cancel another card or effect.
Munchykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Nerftw

The cards do what they say. Trying to tie the flavor text or pictures into the actual mechanics just leads to confusion such as that.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin impossible, seduction, sex change