Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
copeab

Default Re: Weird War II Sources and Inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I was not familiar with either of these, but the review material I find online makes them seem worth looking into. Thanks for the recommendations!
Cast A Deadly Spell is, unfortunately, not on DVD but someone has put it up on YouTube.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
macphersonrants

I watched a flick called Unholy this morning. I can't say that I would give it a strong recommendation overall, but it does explore some interesting ideas involving Nazi occult experimentation and the U.S. government. I guess I'd have to chalk it up with high marks in the so-so movie that has potential to be mined for cool ideas category.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
macphersonrants

Secret Agent 666 by Richard B. Spence deals with Aleister Crowley's involvement with British intelligence. What more could you ask?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersonrants View Post
Secret Agent 666 by Richard B. Spence deals with Aleister Crowley's involvement with British intelligence. What more could you ask?
In my covert supers campaign, the PCs got sent to Germany, where one of them met Uncle Aleister and ended up in a threeway with him and Alraune. Subsequently they borrowed the Nautilus to track the ghost of a U-boat that was taking Adolf Hitler to the sunken ruins of Atlantis to retrieve the One Ring of Power.

My theoretical rationale for that campaign was "the major figures of 1920s popular culture were real, but their creators were not." After that session, my preferred example was that Adolf Hitler existed, but not Leni Riefenstahl.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
macphersonrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In my covert supers campaign, the PCs got sent to Germany, where one of them met Uncle Aleister and ended up in a threeway with him and Alraune. Subsequently they borrowed the Nautilus to track the ghost of a U-boat that was taking Adolf Hitler to the sunken ruins of Atlantis to retrieve the One Ring of Power.

My theoretical rationale for that campaign was "the major figures of 1920s popular culture were real, but their creators were not." After that session, my preferred example was that Adolf Hitler existed, but not Leni Riefenstahl.

Bill Stoddard
Love the Riefenstahl rationale. I'm somewhat hesitant to give it an endorsement, but Triumph of the Will probably warrants a look from anyone interested in getting a handle on the whole Nazi thing.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
macphersonrants

I pick up some interesting nutiness today at the library-

The Secret King: The Myth and Reality of Nazi Occultism by Stephen E. Flowers and Michael Moynihan looks to be a mix of decent scholarly essays with primary source material relating to the nuttier elements of the occult faction at the core of the SS. You have to love a book focused on a guy in Himmler's inner circle who went around calling himself Weisthor.

The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies that Threaten to Take Over America by Jim Marrs looks to be pure loony conspiracy theory, but perhaps of the type that would serve as a strong foundation for a really fun campaign in which Nazi ideology survives and gains a foothold at the core of the American power stucture.

Once I get a chance to read them, I'll report back if anything disturbs my initial assessments.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
aesir23

I second all Declare recommendations.

Also: the film Below: it's a ghost story set on a U-Boat with a script by Darren Aronofsky. Underrated.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Six_Gun_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
...Cast A Deadly Spell is one of my favorite movies.
Same here. Fred Ward was great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_a_Deadly_Spell
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
macphersonrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersonrants View Post

The Secret King: The Myth and Reality of Nazi Occultism by Stephen E. Flowers and Michael Moynihan looks to be a mix of decent scholarly essays with primary source material relating to the nuttier elements of the occult faction at the core of the SS. You have to love a book focused on a guy in Himmler's inner circle who went around calling himself Weisthor.
I'll go ahead and give this one a good endorsement. It's rigorously scholarly. To a certain extent it's a debunking of the idea that the Nazis were deeply involved with the occult, instead arguing that this trope is largely a result of scapegoating aimed at taking focus away from the role Christianity has played in fostering the anti-Semitic attitudes that led to the holocaust. Despite that there is plenty of useful information on Himmler's fascination with the occult and the role played by the occult within the SS. It's probably a little dry if you are looking for pulp sensationalism.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #20
chrisd

How about Bedknobs and Broomsticks? Witches vs. Germans in 1940

Chris D-W
chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cliffhanger, nazis, pulp, weird war ii, wwii