Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
Christian

Default Re: contemporary swedish hunting rifle

So what calibre to use on small game? If I understood you correctly 0.300 / 7.62 mm would already be for wolves and such?

Please assume that the only "weapon" I ever used was an air rifle, and try to explain from there. You may also assume that I'm neither stupid, nor technicaly inept ... just have no experience at all with real weapons. ;)

Thanks for your help guys, its very welcome. :D
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
The_Nightwatch

For small game you want something in the .22 to .25 range - roughly 5mm to 6mm. I'd refer you to specific weapons in 4th edition, but I'm still 3rd...
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
So what calibre to use on small game? If I understood you correctly 0.300 / 7.62 mm would already be for wolves and such?
Yes. For smaller animals, such as deer, wolverine, lynx, or beaver, you need a klass II vapen in the 5.56x45mm range. I would again suggest the Remington Model 700 (just in 5.56x45mm), which is a fine weapon available in many subvariants, and generally reasonably priced. Of course, there are dozens of alternatives, but none of them are in High-Tech. Most would have similar stats, anyway.

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
The_Nightwatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Yes. For smaller animals, such as deer, wolverine, lynx, or beaver, you need a klass II vapen in the 5.56x45mm range. I would again suggest the Remington Model 700 (just in 5.56x45mm), which is a fine weapon available in many subvariants, and generally reasonably priced. Of course, there are dozens of alternatives, but none of them are in High-Tech. Most would have similar stats, anyway.

Cheers

HANS
Just a caution to Christian: a Remington Model 700 in 5.45 and a Remington Model 700 in 7.62 are essentially different weapons. You can't load both calibers of bullets in either one - different barrels, receivers, firing pins, settings for semi-auto cycling, magazines... So, different guns, same model name. Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence, I certainly don't mean to, but you did say something about knowing nothing about guns.
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #15
Christian

No insult taken Nightwatch. While I certainly do know that you can't use 5 mm ammunition in a 6 mm weapon (or vice versa), I know several people that would try to do so. ;)

Tak sa mycket Hans ;)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Christian

So given a Remington Modell 700, 5,56x45mm, how would the stats change from the 7.62 version? High Tech only gives stats for caliber 7mm plus.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
So given a Remington Modell 700, 5,56x45mm, how would the stats change from the 7.62 version? High Tech only gives stats for caliber 7mm plus.
The only really important one would be dropping damage to 5D. _Maybe_ 5D+1 if it jsut sneaks over one of the breakpoints in the formula.Range will change to match one of the 5.56mm rifles listed.

Mostly a rifle barrel is a rifle barrel, etc. The 5.56mm would not benefit greatly from the extra inches of the barrel of a typical Model 700. The round is optimized for shorter barrels. Probably below the Gurps level of resolution anyway.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
Christian

Formula? Which page?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Formula? Which page?
It's secret so far. It may be published someday in a gunhead pdf.

Kromm appears to believe that the formulas in 3e scared off too many people and 4e has many fewer such things. Makes more room for calculations involving Afflictions and Power Modifiers.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
HANS

Quote:
Use Dmg, Range, ST, and Rcl of the Colt M16A1.

Cheers

HANS

Tags
high-tech