Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Coal missing from High-Tech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
What table? The problem is that fuels get headings, longhand descriptions, etc. above their stats lines. There's no table per se.
Forgive me, I'm on the other side of the world from my copy of High-Tech and am obviously operating under faulty memories of it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Actually, tar pit zombies would be primarily mammals: sabertooth cats, dire wolves, the occasional equine and camelid, etc. From what I understand, the tar pits came into being after the dinosaurs had went extinct; what's being pulled from the tar pits are commonly stone age mammals that have since gone extinct.
Tar pit zombies, mine-dwelling knockers, oilmentals, gas sprites, etc: all shall be included.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #33
Anders

Quote:
What table? The problem is that fuels get headings, longhand descriptions, etc. above their stats lines. There's no table per se.
The table you build with the wood you'd otherwise burn.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #34
panton41

Quote:
The earliest known uses of coal were in China. Coal was also used extensively in India. In fact, I don't think coal was economically important outside those regions until it caught on in 19th-century Europe.
Doing some research a few months ago for a story I found that the Romans were actually mining it at one point and it was known in Medieval Europe, but nothing remotely wide spread. It was more of a curiosity that was virtually impossible to exploit given their current technology.

The story involved a far, far future that had regressed to a Renaissance level of technology, so about the only fossil fuel I conceived as realistically being left was coal and apparently that was historically out of the question given the technology base I was using (specifically one rule about the setting is no gun powder or explosives).

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #35
Luke Bunyip

IIRC the steam engine (Newcombe, then Watt) was developed to pump water out of coal mines. Say, early 18th Century
Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #36
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
IIRC the steam engine (Newcombe, then Watt) was developed to pump water out of coal mines.
Newcomen was from southwest England. Bit of a shortage of coal mines down there. Tin mines, on the other hand, were a major local industry.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #37
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Newcomen was from southwest England. Bit of a shortage of coal mines down there. Tin mines, on the other hand, were a major local industry.
Darn, for a number of reasons, not the least of being that I misspelled Newcomen's name.

Being Antipodean, I have a lack of primary sources, on which to draw. However, I will naively claim that Wikipedia is right when it claims that he installed steam engines in a number of mines across England (See 2nd paragraph)

But this is a tangent from the real reason of this thread. IIRC, the cutting down of timber for creating charcoal was a major limit for steel production in England. When coal mining supplimented this, surely there should be a commensurate increase in steel production. But then I could be wrong.

Tags
coal, fuel, high-tech