Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
The Colonel

Default Re: Desert Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
On the other hand, if he's expecting anything like a movie silencer, he's in for a disappointment. The effect of a suppressor on the report of a .50 AE isn't to render the shot magically undetectable. It just reduces the sound signature enough to make it less likely that you will suffer permanent hearing damage from firing it.**

**No, that's not because the magical 'Deagle' is so hardcore that it is ten times louder than other guns. Really, all guns will harm your hearing if you keep shooting them without hearing protection.
Or he could just buy some ear defenders...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
Ragitsu
Banned

Then again High-Tech has a sentence that addresses the concerns of those that want cinematic suppressors (multiplying the Hearing penalty, basically).
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
Joseph R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Actually, all damage types besides crushing do a minimum of 1 point of damage. So even if you roll four 1s on your 4d-4 roll, you'll still do 1 point of damage.
Ooops! For some reason I was thinking cr not pi. My bad :)
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #14
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
**No, that's not because the magical 'Deagle' is so hardcore that it is ten times louder than other guns. Really, all guns will harm your hearing if you keep shooting them without hearing protection.
Wear your hearing protection, boys and girls!

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Or he could just buy some ear defenders...
Although I would point out that that's why CRW teams and other close combat units have taken to the MP5SD rather than the straight MP - it's not so they can be super sneaky, it's so that they don't deafen everyone in the building.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
Brevitt

Of course there isn't a lot of point silencing a gun unless the bullit is subsonic to start with
Brevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Bruno

There is a distinct point to "silencing" a gun when the effect is to merely make it "less loud", instead of or in addition to wearing your ear protection:

Consideration of the people living near the firing range, and consideration of the staff who have to work at the firing range all day. As well as getting the cumulative benefit of ear protection AND the sound baffling.

Some gun clubs REQUIRE silencers for this reason - sheer good-neighborliness if that's even a word.

Of course, if the only reason you're firing a gun is to go "BANG BANG BANG BANG! RAWR! My e-peen is indeed mighty! Listen to the noise I'm making!" you may find this idea counter-productive. On the other hand, your e-peen substitute will be twice as big with a silencer on it, so perhaps that will help your ego. :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Hi all weapon-gurus.

I have a player that want to have a big f*ing gun.
Obviously that should be the Desert Eagle .50
Problem is that the Desert Eagle have a ST12 and the Character only have ST10 (and he doesn't want the -2 penalty).
Then we found the Pistolero side bar in HT p84, that says you should be able to use the Desert Eagle 2H w. ST10.
Is this correct?
Yes. Several notes.

1. Using a weapon you don't have the required Minimum ST for is stupid. Very stupid. Personally, I'd whack the guy with BASIC SET and tell him to think again ;)
2. Yes, he can avoid the penalty when using both hands. He's out of luck when the other hand isn't available, for example to hold onto the car he's driving or the rope ladder he's dangling from, or because the bad guys have just blown it off with an even bigger gun . . .
3. We offer a cinematic solution to this in GUN FU. You may want to consider getting on the playtest that starts momentarily.

Quote:
Now my player also want a Supressor/Silencer to his Desert Eagle.
Is this possible?
Theoretically, yes. Actually, the Desert Eagle is probably relatively easy to fit with a suppressor since its barrel is a. fixed during firing (a problem in many other designs) and b. replacement barrels are easily available.

Quote:
As I understand he would first need a customized Desert Eagle so he will be able to attach a supressor.
What would this customization cost?
Spare barrels are about $400 to $500 depending on finish (he wants chrome, though, doesn't he? That's the more expensive one . . .). The barrel needs to be threaded, which can't be more than $100.

Quote:
HT p159 list supressors: as I understand he would have to use the overzised baffle supressor for caliber .50 weapons?
No. That one is expressively for "large-caliber RIFLES". The Desert Eagle is a pistol. I'd use the stats for "Pistol or SMG" suppressors. I'd probably charge twice the cost, though, as no suppressor manufacturer I know builds a can for this gun, so he would have to have it build from scratch.

Quote:
The Desert Eagle does 4d pi+ dmg, but B p289 states that silencers reduced damage with -1 per dice, so it should be 4d-4 pi+?
No. As you obviously have access to HIGH-TECH, use only the rules from HIGH-TECH. The HIGH-TECH rules supersede those in BASIC SET concerning suppressors. Baffle suppressors don't change Dmg or Range (HIGH-TECH, p. 159).

Cheers

HANS
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #19
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Of course, if the only reason you're firing a gun is to go "BANG BANG BANG BANG! RAWR! My e-peen is indeed mighty! Listen to the noise I'm making!" you may find this idea counter-productive. On the other hand, your e-peen substitute will be twice as big with a silencer on it, so perhaps that will help your ego. :D
Which makes me wonder ... how and where is he going to find a holster big enough to fit it? ;-)
Or is this going to be like those ridiculous Luger acessory packs, which ended up modifying a pistol until it was basically a carbine or machine pistol in kit form, but twice as expensive and not as good.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevitt View Post
Of course there isn't a lot of point silencing a gun unless the bullit is subsonic to start with
Well, apart from the hearing protection, there's the small matter of removing the muzzle flash and what have you so it doesn't give your position away.
People will still hear you shoot - and definitely hear the bullet if it's supersonic - but there's less chance they will positively identify it as gunfire and even if they do, it will be a lot harder to judge where the fire came from.
If you're indoors, a supressor can make a great deal of difference.

Grognards tell me that the only truly silent firearm ever made was the DeLisle Carbine, but I suspect that it may have been equalled or surpassed since their day.

Tags
high-tech