Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
faitfull

Default Healing in active combat, how to heal allied PC

I simply cannot find rules for it!

hope you guys can help me out.

In our group we have a mage that have healing spells and a enhanted staff to deliver spells.

I play the groups tank and sometimes need the healing spell fast. So we assume that the mage point her staff and poke me in the back and yell "HEALING SPELL!"

However, she proberly need to roll her skill based on her DX9, and proberly going to miss, even that I really really want to be hit and will do what i can to be hit!

Is there some rules for this situation? is it just automatic hit becourse it is a ally hitting a ally that really wants to be hit (healing spell) or is there some kind of skill bonus in this situation? or is it simply just bad luck, since it may be as hard to hit a ally that works to get hit like hitting a unwilling enemy in combat.
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Healing in active combat, how to heal allied PC

If I remember correctly, most of the healing spells do not require touch. They simply take a -1 per yard of range. If it is a regular spell and doesn't specifically say otherwise, that rule should apply.

Of course, it's been about a decade since I used the standard spell system.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
faitfull

if you use the spell with ranged. However since many spells start out as touch spells, you can use a enchanted staff to touch someone to deliver the spell.
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Mr_Sandman

As a GM, I wouldn't call for a roll to hit with a staff for a healing spell on an ally, unless there was some particular circumstance making it especially difficult to touch the ally.

That said, a legalistic reading of the rules may not actually require a touch with the staff to reduce the range penalty. The Basic Set says that for Regular spells "if you cannot touch the subject, apply a skill penalty equal to your distance in yards from the subject." You could argue that as long as the mage or the end of the mage's staff is in the same hex as the subject, the distance penalty for a Regular spell would be 0, and an actual touch isn't needed. Spells that require a to hit roll are Melee spells. I'm not sure this is the actual intention of the rules, but it is a defensible interpretation.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
trooper6

Minor/Major/Great Healing are Regular Spells, not Touch Spells...so the mage doesn't have to touch the Fighter for the spell to work.

Yes, you have range penalty...but as per M13, "Pointing with a staff reduces the range to a distant subject by the length of the staff. This is valuable for Regular spells, as a one-yard wand shaves -1 off distance penalties, while a two-yard quarterstaff eliminates -2! You can point as part of the ritual to cast a spell. Tell the GM you are pointing at the subject when you start concentrating. (This might warn an unwilling subject!)"

This means if your staff ends in the same hex as your target, you don't have to touch them, and you don't have a range penalty.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helping allies, rules