Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #31
Tom Mazanec

Default Re: Furry Hell Parallel

Anyone want to hazard a character sheet for Aaron Marx?
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #32
Tom Mazanec

Of course this is Centrum Zone Red if it is accessible at all, as well as Homeline Class Z. The only question is the Access Rating, whether it is 1, 2 or 3 (probably 1).
Old 01-08-2021, 06:55 AM   #33
Tom Mazanec

One interesting thought...
What if that crank-powered Amesworth ray gun works in Homeline? A Star Trek phaser like pistol that never runs out of power...as long as your arm holds out!
Old 01-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #34
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
One interesting thought...
What if that crank-powered Amesworth ray gun works in Homeline? A Star Trek phaser like pistol that never runs out of power...as long as your arm holds out!
I believe it's noted (at least in the RPG materials) that the hand-cranked ray gun doesn't use Amesworth radiation, but some other, undefined form of superscience. Amesworth weapons don't have a "stun" option.

If such a thing did work in Homeline, they'd immediately improve upon it to get rid of (or at least supplement) the hand-crank. The weapons have incredibly low energy output for their effect - even if we assume a full second for each turn of the crank, that's only up to 400 seconds (a bit under 7 minutes) of cranking for a full charge, which gives you a nominal 150 shots (1 shot each for stun, 2 shots each on kill, 7.5 shots per second on drill). If we assume this represents frantic cranking of the weapon, such that the character would lose FP at a rate comparable to sprinting (I suspect the 1 turn/second rate is markedly less than this, but I digress), a person is going to be outputting somewhere along the lines of 20*BL W/lb, or 400 W for a typical ST 10 character. 400 W for 400 seconds is 160 kJ. A typical modern lithium-ion battery stores around 540 kJ per kg, so a soldier could cart around a 1 kg battery and be able to fully recharge the ray gun a bit over 3 times - and I suspect Homeline has better battery tech than we do. Note that's nearly the worst-case scenario - 1 turn per second is probably more akin to hiking (1/4 output, 13.5 recharges per kg) or maybe jogging (1/2 output, 6.75 recharges per kg) in terms of FP drain. The actual worse-case scenario would be that the 400 second value is for a character with above-average strength, say ST 12 (+50% output, 2.25 recharges per kg if comparable to sprinting) and is actually reliant on being cranked, meaning you'd need to use your external battery to power an automated crank, which is going to cause some efficiency losses (combined with the above, say 2 recharges per kg). At that point, simply keeping it as a hand-cranked weapon makes some sense, but it needing to be cranked implies something weird going on, which in turn means it's much less likely to work outside of its home timeline (or perhaps the "nearby" Amesworth-apocalypse timelines, although part of me suspects the weapons are more reliant on the physics of the Cardoodle timeline than the Amesworth one).

As for its use in Homeline, in addition to military it would also be a huge boon to law enforcement, provided they don't have similar tech already available. The weapon could readily be recharged in a squad car, for example, or even back at the police station. Such weapons may be modified to only work on Stun, but I wouldn't count on it (civilian models are more likely to be restricted in this way, and undoubtedly people would work out ways around that to modify them into Kill-capable or even Kill-only models).

Last edited by Varyon; 01-08-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #35
Tom Mazanec

Another thing to keep in mind is species specific advantages and disadvantages. The rpg goes into that some, but based on the strip there may be more, especially mental. For example, if I mutate into a mongoose I may get Daredevil and Bad Temper.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #36
Tom Mazanec

The beta testing sessions are back online:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...06&postcount=3
Old 04-16-2021, 07:03 AM   #37
Tom Mazanec

I am reading the paper books to pass the time while the cartoonist is on hiatus, moving across Texas.
How would you rate this timeline’s technology? They have an interesting mixture of ultra tech and retro tech... flying cars and old fashioned phones for example.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #38
Varyon

Quote:
I am reading the paper books to pass the time while the cartoonist is on hiatus, moving across Texas.
How would you rate this timeline’s technology? They have an interesting mixture of ultra tech and retro tech... flying cars and old fashioned phones for example.
I don't recall them having much beyond TL8 that wasn't superscience, so probably TL8^ or TL9^ prior to the End. As for the retro phones, IIRC we saw those in Holly's backstory, and she lived in a rather posh neighborhood - it's entirely possible modern smartphones were readily available, but using fancy older-looking phones was fashionable. That said, there is something of a 50's sci-fi aesthetic, not unlike with Fallout, so TL7+1^ or TL7+2^ is entirely possible - maybe even just straight up TL7^.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #39
Tom Mazanec

I suppose the Lucranians are TL12^...or nothing is.
Someone pointed out that the really old style phones in Endtown, with the speaker on another component separated by cord from the microphone, is probably intentional...Arnie Anteaters's mouth is a lot farther from his ears than Billy Bulldog's are. And they don't want wireless that would give away their location to the Topsiders. Or cable radio and TV (old fashioned TV with wide lines).

Last edited by Tom Mazanec; 04-16-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #40
VIVIT

Quote:
You might want to upload that somewhere else before it goes 404.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote