Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Walrus

Default Walking around with drawn bow

So, the question is, what are effects of having bow drawn? How limited is movement? What are FP costs? Any other effects?
Looking through Low Tech, LTC 2 and Deadly Spring hasn't provide anything.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Walking around with drawn bow

It depends on a lot of things.
How much FP or strain is based on draw ST vs. the wielders ST.
Compound bows have a lower draw ST for holding then the effective ST so easier to hold for longer.
Then you have more wear and tear for keeping the bow at stress.
At most you should walk around with an arrow knocked but not drawn for most if not all bows.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
Walrus

Yeah, I understrand all the issues about ST and assume that it happens on combat one second per turn scale.

Or it may be part of that Ready! - Draw! - Loose! drill for volley fire. How much time is between Draw! and Loose! commands? Was it actually a drill or is it more or less anachronism and assumption?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #4
PseudoFenton

In real life I can hold a bow drawn for quite some time, and even take slow steps around whilst doing so and keeping the bow trained on a target/area. However, it gets tiring (unless its a very low draw weight compared to what you can normally draw - basically less ST in gurps, and therefore less damage) and it's seriously asking to shoot something by accident.

This would get you kicked out of most archery clubs, its unsafe and impractical. A drawn bow is like a gun with its safety off - it doesn't take much to cause it to fire and it will randomly hit whatever you're vaguely aiming at, which if you're walking about could be anything. Especially as the longer you hold the bow drawn for, the less precision you get as your arms tire.

For simplicity and on the fly ruling, I'd treat as concentrate like "you can step every turn" without hassle, and just say anything more than that is subject to move and attack rules (capped at 9) which is to be expected!
Additionally, holding a drawn bow count as "combat time" for the purposes of FP loss, even if you're not aiming at anything or have any enemies around to shoot. Finally, I'd probably apply penalties after a few second to the shot that is eventually made, perhaps using the speed/range chart, but I'd have to look it over to see what would be sensible - I'd not allow an unpenalised shot after more than 10 seconds though for sure!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
fifiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It depends on a lot of things.
How much FP or strain is based on draw ST vs. the wielders ST.
Compound bows have a lower draw ST for holding then the effective ST so easier to hold for longer.
Then you have more wear and tear for keeping the bow at stress.
At most you should walk around with an arrow knocked but not drawn for most if not all bows.
Also accuracy - Even if you’re not lost any fp yet your hand should be lot less steady.
Definitely after you've lost some fp.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
For simplicity and on the fly ruling, I'd treat as concentrate like "you can step every turn" without hassle, and just say anything more than that is subject to move and attack rules (capped at 9) which is to be expected!
Definitely Concentrate actions to keep it drawn.

Quote:
Additionally, holding a drawn bow count as "combat time" for the purposes of FP loss, even if you're not aiming at anything or have any enemies around to shoot. Finally, I'd probably apply penalties after a few second to the shot that is eventually made, perhaps using the speed/range chart, but I'd have to look it over to see what would be sensible - I'd not allow an unpenalised shot after more than 10 seconds though for sure!
If it's a Compound Bow I wouldn't assess any penalties, ditto if their ST exceeds the bow's draw by 5 or more.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Or it may be part of that Ready! - Draw! - Loose! drill for volley fire. How much time is between Draw! and Loose! commands? Was it actually a drill or is it more or less anachronism and assumption?
Its more about concentrating formation fire and timing then any personal ability issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
This sounds pretty good to me.
A modern Compound bow you can hold for a minute easy enough as its about half your Draw ST.
The other factor is wear and tear on the bow.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:40 AM   #8
Polydamas

A fourteenth-century French authority recommended using a light bow for hunting so that one could keep it partially drawn while waiting for the game. In GURPS terms, a bow ST less than your effective ST should give a bonus to Fast Draw, and a greater one should give a penalty.

Quote:
Yeah, I understrand all the issues about ST and assume that it happens on combat one second per turn scale.

What you describe is musketry tactics. There is no published research in a Western European language on how large groups of archers fought, and no readily-available source describing how they coordinated their actions. The choreographers for films like Gladiator just copy musketry drill because it looks cool.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #9
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
A fourteenth-century French authority recommended using a light bow for hunting so that one could keep it partially drawn while waiting for the game. In GURPS terms, a bow ST less than your effective ST should give a bonus to Fast Draw, and a greater one should give a penalty.
Or maybe just not using your bow at its full draw length and thus full strength, i.e. the YouTube method.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:40 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
So, the question is, what are effects of having bow drawn? How limited is movement? What are FP costs? Any other effects?
Looking through Low Tech, LTC 2 and Deadly Spring hasn't provide anything.
A fully drawn bow? That'd be pretty damn strenous.

I think most wary archers would walk around with the bow partially drawn, which should be a lot easier.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow