Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Carlos

Default Spellslinger Advantage for Standard Magic System

Greetings,

Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic (p. 14) brings a new advantage called Spellslinger. Like Heroic Archer, it's based on Gunslinger advantage. Thus, It does for spellcasters what Gunslinger advantage does for gunners. The advantage was designed for Ritual Path Magic system. However, it says that it can be adapted to others magic systems. That said, I think the only small modification worth mentioning is for Blocking Spells: You have the effect of Blocking Spell Mastery perk to all of your blocking spells.

However, as presented in the original advantage, it says you can roll at -6
to both the final casting roll and the attack roll to attack with offensive spells at the same turn the caster finished the casting, effectively allowing casters to attack every turn.

My question is: Does this -6 penalty to cast spells affects the skill for purporse of energy reduction and ritual?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Spellslinger Advantage for Standard Magic System

Energy reduction is on base skill, not effective skill. Yes, this means that any sort of bonus to casting does not push you to the next breakpoint.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Greetings,

Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic (p. 14) brings a new advantage called Spellslinger. Like Heroic Archer, it's based on Gunslinger advantage. Thus, It does for spellcasters what Gunslinger advantage does for gunners. The advantage was designed for Ritual Path Magic system. However, it says that it can be adapted to others magic systems. That said, I think the only small modification worth mentioning is for Blocking Spells: You have the effect of Blocking Spell Mastery perk to all of your blocking spells.

However, as presented in the original advantage, it says you can roll at -6
to both the final casting roll and the attack roll to attack with offensive spells at the same turn the caster finished the casting, effectively allowing casters to attack every turn.

My question is: Does this -6 penalty to cast spells affects the skill for purporse of energy reduction and ritual?
I intentionally made it as generic as I could while keeping it useful - yes it appears in a RPM article, but I made it for ALL systems. As to whether it reduces the skill as the author, I'd say "no." Magic is pretty specific about high base skill and what it gives. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Magic p. 8
In all cases, “skill”
refers to base skill, not effective skill.
The only modifier that matters here is
the -5 for low mana, if applicable.
Now a lot of folks use effective skill to determine what your skill level grants, but that's a house rule. Do keep in mind that it's redundant with Mighty Spell. For standard magic I'd also include Melee and Area Spell Mastery for all known spells as well.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
For standard magic I'd also include Melee and Area Spell Mastery for all known spells as well.
I just forgot to ask you this: What about Missile Spell Mastery? Shouldn't it be included (or instead of one of the perks that you mentioned?) in Spellslinger?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I just forgot to ask you this: What about Missile Spell Mastery? Shouldn't it be included (or instead of one of the perks that you mentioned?) in Spellslinger?
You could, yeah. It wouldn't break anything. RPM doesn't have some of the problems basic magic does with missile spells.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You could, yeah. It wouldn't break anything. RPM doesn't have some of the problems basic magic does with missile spells.
As the author of this excellent idea¹, would you mind to summarize how would be the Spellslinger advantage for the standard GURPS Magic system? I'm pretty sure it could be used for future reference.

Thanks in advance.

1 - A quick search at the forum shows me that many players wished such advantage long ago.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
As the author of this excellent idea¹, would you mind to summarize how would be the Spellslinger advantage for the standard GURPS Magic system? I'm pretty sure it could be used for future reference.

Thanks in advance.

1 - A quick search at the forum shows me that many players wished such advantage long ago.
That would make getting the magazine pretty moot. :-/ Basically, use those rules, add in Missile Spell Mastery for all missile spells if you want. That should be plenty.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 01-25-2015 at 07:30 AM.