Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
gibberingmouther

Default Drinking During An RP Session

has anybody tried this? do you have any amusing anecdotes? i never got to try drinking while playing D&D or GURPS because i quit drinking before i got my group together.

i think it would be fun if it didn't get out of hand but maybe others with experience will say otherwise.
gibberingmouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Drinking During An RP Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post
has anybody tried this? do you have any amusing anecdotes? i never got to try drinking while playing D&D or GURPS because i quit drinking before i got my group together.
I don't use alcohol in any form. I had one player who used to go through a couple of beers during a session, and it didn't seem to be a problem for him; but for the most part my sessions were dry.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
Celjabba

I am well know for spilling drink across the gametable, unfortunately... even if it was only once (or twice...)
but I imagine you were asking about alcoholic drinks, not a pitcher of grenadine syrup or a boiling kettle for tea. (we got lucky with that one, it could have been bad).

I remember only once having a player turn up drunk and disorderly and carrying a pack of cheap beer. He was made to leave immediately (That was at an event, not a regular table).
Another regular player used to be more or less constantly inebriated. He was still a very good player , exuberant and funny right to the point he would quietly fall asleep... That was 25 years ago, I would likely be less tolerant nowadays.

As GM, I have no objection to alcohol at the table in moderation. A beer or two, or sharing a bottle of wine is not uncommon. While I GM I will abstain or keep myself to one very small glass for tasting, but I trust my players to know their limits.

As a player, I will follow the GM/house rules, but if allowed I find that a drink or two help relaxing and enjoying the game.

A proper drink selection also set the mood. A fantasy game call for mead or dark beer, with bread, cheese and sausages; sake with shadowrun, while vampire ask for beer or a fine red wine, and Cthulhu goes well with hard liquor or , alternatively, tea in fine china.
Likewise breaking out the rhum for an "at sea" episode, ...
As with everything, moderation is the key. And dont drink and drive.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I will occasionally drink beer when gaming, just as I might occasionally drink while doing other stuff. Occasionally I game with people who drink a little occasionally too, but for the most part my gaming groups are fairly dry. Nothing amusing to report though, I won't game with anybody who is intoxicated (or high).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I have a drink most nights, and I've worked as a part-time barman (translation: people buy you shots, and while you can pour light, you can't totally dodge the bullet), so my tolerance for alcohol is respectable. A drink or even two has no meaningful effect unless I haven't eaten. Most of the people I've gamed with are similar; a couple have been heavyweights (or just plain heavy), and able to have several drinks without altering how they gamed. So on the whole, I don't really care.

However, this assumes "sipping a drink in a civilized fashion," not "chucking back shots like there's no tomorrow." I don't tolerate the latter, if only because it's bad for the drinker's health and I'm an empathetic person. I had one guy who would show up, chug six cans of beer, and crush the cans on his face. He wasn't invited back . . . but then, he was also a gym rat who used steroids and ate aspirin by the handful to kill the pain of lifting too much, so he was an accident waiting to happen.

The thing that bugs me most about alcoholic beverages is the drink service. People who drink soda usually consume it from plastic bottles that can be re-capped. People who drink alcohol have wine glasses, cocktail glasses, and glass beer bottles. Gaming being what it is, people are reaching all over the place, flipping through books and throwing dice. I can cope with spills – they happen whether or not you're gaming and whether or not alcohol is present – but not with broken glassware. Around klutzy gamers, I've actually said, "Let's have a drink before we start," just to avoid the risk.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #6
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post
has anybody tried this? do you have any amusing anecdotes?
I used to have a beer during game. So did some friends. Wasn't usually an issue, as the rule was "More than one, fork over your keys and get your car tomorrow"...

The disinhibition effects can be quite noticeable in some people, even at low dosage. It's something to be aware of - some people can handle it, some people cannot.

I do find that marijuana is less prone to bringing out the obnoxious in people, but is also slightly more likely to trigger digressions.

The worst gaming incidents in my personal experiences involved thoroughly inebriated homeless persons not playing with us breaking into my apartment during game.

In one case, he had the wrong building, but convincing him of this required use of a 32" scots backsword. Once he saw that forcing the door would spit him like a roast, he ran.

Another, he came into a security building following one of the players, with a knife in hand...Upon entry, the player gave us the "I'm in trouble here" code, and, as the player burst through the door and went prone, the native guy, knife in hand, suddenly realized more than six people had firearms pointed at him, two with badges. (Armed security guards.) Police were called, as he was held under citizens arrest for unlawful entry and menacing. He was charged with, and plead out to, both counts, plus something else unrelated. (He had warrants already.) One of the guys in the group happened to be the building's daytime security guy, just off shift.

Then there was the guy who barged in, heard me say, "Saving throw or die," screamed "OMG THE DEVIL IS HERE!" ran out, and tripped on the ice, and fell onto a police car's hood, which was looking for him. We were most annoyed - took us 15 minutes to get the cat back in. He surrendered to the officers without further incident, other than an unlawful entry charge being added. (He was being searched for for a home invasion armed robbery down the block.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
RogerBW

In the 1990s many of my role-playing meetings were in pubs. We probably didn't drink as much as typical customers over the same time, but we'd often have 2-4 pints over an evening (some people preferred soft drinks). (This was in London, so public transport was how we'd got there and how we'd planned to go home anyway.) I don't think it made any particular difference to the games; the same player dead-sober versus slightly drunk was less variation in personality than there was between players anyway.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Then there was the guy who barged in, heard me say, "Saving throw or die," screamed "OMG THE DEVIL IS HERE!" ran out, and tripped on the ice, and fell onto a police car's hood, which was looking for him. We were most annoyed - took us 15 minutes to get the cat back in. He surrendered to the officers without further incident, other than an unlawful entry charge being added. (He was being searched for for a home invasion armed robbery down the block.)
Who knew that Jack Chick could actually have a useful influence on the world.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
trooper6

I prefer a dry gaming table. I have been in a few groups where people would have a drink or two, which was okay. But generally speaking, I don’t drink when gaming...and never when GMing. I take it very seriously and prefer everyone to be on point. Drinking is for after the game when we move into social mode.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Maybe it's different for boardgaming, but I don't mind if people drink at my table. If someone drank to excess, we would have a discussion, but generally no one has more than one or two unless it's a marathon session, and I trust my friends to know their limits and not to protest if I have to step in and summon an Uber or pour them onto my guest bed.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote