Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Anders

Default [Sorcery] Spellbook project

Working on translating spells from the Swedish RPG Drakar och Demoner 6th edition. So I'm looking for help on this. Hopefully I will be able to put it up under resources when the time comes. Names for the spells are given in "Trudvälska", which is a made up language that sounds vaguely like Old Norse (an English translation might be "Trudberish" from gibberish).

Edit: In this system, Buff spells are almost always Touch spells. Touch is the same as "Melee Attack, C or 1" and is worth -20%.

Mana in this system is called "vitner" and is divided into "Havitner", or "outer energy" and "Rimvitner", or "inner energy". Spells using Rimvitner are generally (but not always) more powerful than spells using Havitner. Being able to use only Havitner is a -20% limitation on the Sorcerous Empowerment advantage and Sorcery Talent. Being able to use Havitner is a prerequisite for being able to use Rimvitner.

I am improvising many of the modifiers here, so if you wonder where I found something particular... I probably made it up. :o) However, this also means that some of them may be terribly unbalanced. Remember, this has not been playtested. Use with caution and don't be afraid to change things around if something crashes your game. And if it does, please let me know!

Last edited by Anders; 08-19-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: [Sorcery] Spellbook project

Afveigleda (Distract)
Keywords: Obvious, Resisted (Will)
Full Cost: 32 points
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Beam) to hit
Range: 50 yards
Duration: Instantaneous

The spell creates a sudden sound within range. The sound is something that would fit into the environment and the situation – a twig, a growl, a yelp or some other natural sound. Any creature within 2 yards of where the sound emanates from must make a Will roll or direct all their attention towards the sound, becoming mentally stunned. The caster can exclude any people he can see from the effect.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Mental Stun +0%; Area Effect, +50%; Based on Will, +20%; Reduced Range, 1/2, -10%; Selective Effect, +20%; Sense-Based, hearing, +150%; Sorcery, -15%) [32]

Last edited by Anders; 07-31-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Anders

Aldyldja (Concealment)
Keywords: Buff
Full Cost: 13 points for level 1 + 4.5/extra level
Casting Roll: None.
Range: Touch
Duration: 10 minutes

The spell creates a natural camouflage around the subject. In any situation where being seen is a factor, they get +2 per level to Stealth skill (maximum is +8). The details of the camouflage varies with the environment. If the subject stands next to a stone wall, they may look like a bush or possibly a part of the wall, while they may take the form of a tree or a stone if they’re in a forest clearing. The subject must remain perfectly silent and still for the spell to work. The spell affects the subject’s clothes as well as the subject themselves.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Extended Duration, x3, +20%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Sorcery, -15%; Touch, -20%) + Grant Advantage: Aldyldja (+45%/level) [13+4.5/level]
Aldyldja is Camouflage (Force Field, +20%; Terminal Condition, moving or speaking, -20%; Magic, -10%) [4.5/level]

Last edited by Anders; 07-31-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Anders

Arvaker (Waker)
Full Cost: 20 points
Casting Roll: None
Duration: 24 hours

The spell creates a spiritual “alarm clock” that wakes the spellcaster or a selected person at a pre-set time the morning after the spell is cast. The subject is immediately awake and doesn’t feel tired at all, even if the night hasn’t been very restful. The spell can cause certain problems if the subject hasn’t been getting enough sleep during the night – after an hour or so, the subject will be getting Drowsy, as per p.*B428.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Grants Advantage: Arvaker, +20%; Extended Duration, x500, +110%; Sorcery, -15%; Touch, -20%) [20]
Arvaker is a combination of 2 perks – one to allow the person to wake up at a pre-set time and one to negate any feelings of tiredness the subject may feel [2].

Last edited by Anders; 07-31-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Anders

Astfanga (sorry, no clue what they might have meant by this)
Keywords: Resisted (Will)
Full Cost: 58 points
Casting Roll: IQ
Duration: Variable

The sorcerer touches a person (who can’t be hostile) and sends a wave of manipulative vitner* through that person. If the sorcerer wins a Quick Contest of IQ vs. the subject’s Will, the subject becomes attracted to or (if the Contest fails by 5 or more) falls in love with a person of the sorcerer’s choosing. If the person is of a race or gender the subject would not normally fall in love with (e.g., a person of the same sex for a heterosexual person), the subject gets a +4 bonus to resist. The feelings last for one day per point by which the orcerer won the Quick Contest.

Statistics: Mind Control (Emotion Control, love only, -80%; Extended Duration, x1,500, +130%; Sorcery, -15%; Touch, -20%) [58]

*in-world name for mana

Last edited by Anders; 07-31-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Anders

Augvilfalda (Eye-delusion)
Full Cost: 42 points
Casting Roll: None.
Duration: 10 seconds

The spell creates a number of exact copies of the person, who can be the sorcerer or a person of their choice. Every copy requires as much space as the person does – one hex for most player characters. This free space must be within 2 yards of the subject. The caster can create up to 1d-2 copies (minimum 1).
It is impossible to discover which one of the copies is the real person. All copies move exactly like the subject. If the subject makes an attack, all the other copies hit in the exact the same place, making it impossible for the person attacked to discern who made the attack. The copies are illusions, and cannot cause any damage themselves. A copy disappears immediately if it takes any damage. Every second, the original and copies shift place – this is a short-range teleportation effect which is not confusing for the subject who can act normally.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Grants Advantage: Augvilfalda, +375%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/20, -25%; Sorcery, -15%; Touch, -20%) [32]
Augvilfalda is Illusion (Copies only, -80%; Cosmic: Can shift around, +100%; Independence, +40%; Magic, -10%) [37.5]

Edit: Added Independence to the Illusion advantage, so they can move around with you having to concentrate.

Last edited by Anders; 07-31-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
vitner
Google shows me that "Jehovas vitner" seems to be Norwegian for Jehovah's Witnesses, but I'm still not sure what you mean by the word.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Inveet

Having wanted more spells from the Sorcery system, I'm greatly enthusiastic to see members of the community give it a go.

Quote:
Google shows me that "Jehovas vitner" seems to be Norwegian for Jehovah's Witnesses, but I'm still not sure what you mean by the word.
As a native Norwegian I can tell you that 'Vitner' means 'Witnesses' much like google described. I don't think that the Swedish word "Vitnar" is the word intended here however, and more likely a typo of some description? :p
Maybe the intended word is 'Vibbar (Vibes)'? Or possibly it's some kind of in-setting magical feature.
Inveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inveet View Post
As a native Norwegian I can tell you that 'Vitner' means 'Witnesses' much like google described. I don't think that the Swedish word "Vitnar" is the word intended here however, and more likely a typo of some description? :p
Maybe the intended word is 'Vibbar (Vibes)'? Or possibly it's some kind of in-setting magical feature.
Given the spell names are already Norse giibberish, perhaps they threw a Nordic spin on some Latin and it's supposed to be a Trudvälska word for "vitality"/"vitalism"? I'd read that in the context of the rest of the spell description as "manipulative vital energy".
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Given the spell names are already Norse giibberish, perhaps they threw a Nordic spin on some Latin and it's supposed to be a Trudvälska word for "vitality"/"vitalism"? I'd read that in the context of the rest of the spell description as "manipulative vital energy".
Sorry about that. Vitner is the in-world name for mana.

Tags
sorcery, spells