Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #61
SCAR

Default Re: [Spaceships] TL10^ exploration frigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
There are significant limitations placed on the location of Spinal Mount segments
Indeed, but not particularly relevant to the Large Systems rule.
Infact, those rules allow you to mount a +1.SM Major Battery (equivalent to a Spinal Battery) in 3 locations in any hull section, and as a turret mount!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #62
Agemegos

For information of anyone who might be interested: I continue to refine this ship design as a page on the wiki for the campaign I'll be using it in.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #63
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
For information of anyone who might be interested: I continue to refine this ship design as a page on the wiki for the campaign I'll be using it in.
I like the ship, I have something similar, built from the Drake conversion I did from Future Armada (see my sig) - small systems are just great for squeezing a few extra things in.

One tiny item, which I only realised recently when it cropped up in Eric's Spaceships Design Spreadsheet thread, is that Hangar Doors on a single hangar technically allow a maximum size of -4.SM vessel (SS1.p43) - this means the Small System Hangars (SM+8) in the Forward 3 and 4 Sections, while having the capacity for an SM+5 vessel (30 tons), technically can't get anything bigger than an SM+4 vessel through the Hangar Doors.

As I mentioned in the referenced thread, an Optimised Hangar Bay (SS4.p38) can be specifically optimised for vessels of -3.SM, for double the launch rate; which makes the -4.SM Hangar Doors rule from SS1 look like an errata.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #64
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
One tiny item, which I only realised recently when it cropped up in Eric's Spaceships Design Spreadsheet thread, is that Hangar Doors on a single hangar technically allow a maximum size of -4.SM vessel (SS1.p43) - this means the Small System Hangars (SM+8) in the Forward 3 and 4 Sections, while having the capacity for an SM+5 vessel (30 tons), technically can't get anything bigger than an SM+4 vessel through the Hangar Doors.

As I mentioned in the referenced thread, an Optimised Hangar Bay (SS4.p38) can be specifically optimised for vessels of -3.SM, for double the launch rate; which makes the -4.SM Hangar Doors rule from SS1 look like an errata.
Bum! I'll have a look at it. If the worst comes to the worst I can always put both the shuttles into a single normal-sized hangar and consolidate most of the cargo space. Can I carry cargo in a hangar bay?

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #65
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Bum! I'll have a look at it. If the worst comes to the worst I can always put both the shuttles into a single normal-sized hangar and consolidate most of the cargo space. Can I carry cargo in a hangar bay?
Personally I wouldn't worrying about the Hangar Door size 'issue'.
If nothing else, call them Hangar Bay (30 tons, optimized for SM +5 craft) - (SS4.p38) - which costs nothing extra, doubles the launch rate for that size of vessel (making it 40 tons per minute instead of 20), and halves the rate for other sizes (which you just don't care about) - and the optimised bay must have Hangar Doors big enough!

Hangar Bays can be used for cargo, you just use the slighly lower capacity (tons) compared to a Cargo Bay.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #66
Agemegos

Well, consolidating on one hangar bay and one cargo hold would cost me ten tons of cargo capacity, and the pay-off would be that the ship could accept visitors' transports into its hangar bay.

Does SS4 p.38 actually say that it does have door big enough, or does it imply that it must?

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Tags
exploration, flat black, spaceships