Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
7thPanzer

Default Aura ability

Hello all,

I'm a little dubious with this:

Quote:
Affliction 1 (Attribute Penalty, -1 to HT, IQ and DX, +25%; Based on Will, +20%; Area Effect, 3 yards, +75%*; Selective Area, +20%; Malediction, +100%; Emanation, -20%) [32/level]
* extrapolated from table on GURPS Basic Set: Characters, p. 102.
Do you think it is legal?

Marcelo "7thPanzer"
MIB # 3732
---------------------------
http://www.rederpg.com.br
7thPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Aura ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thPanzer
Do you think it is legal?
Numbers add up... the interpolated value for the AE looks fine... it doesn't seem terribly overpowering to me. Do you have a problem with it, yourself?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
7thPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Numbers add up... the interpolated value for the AE looks fine... it doesn't seem terribly overpowering to me. Do you have a problem with it, yourself?
No, not at all. Just checking, as I'm new to this ability-building thing.

Now, the description (please help me with the writing, as I'm non-native to English):

Quote:
You are surrounded by a 3-yard radius Aura of Despair. The first time someone enters this area, he must win a Quick Contest of Will or suffer an one point reduction in HT, IQ and DX. Your roll has a -1 per yard of distance to the target, who rolls against Will at -1 per level of Affliction. Skills based on affected attributes will also be reduced, as well as BL, damage, Will and Perception. Other secondary characteristics will not be affected, though. This effect lasts for a minute for each point by which the target lost the Quick Contest. You may choose to spare your allies from the Aura of Despair's effect.

Marcelo "7thPanzer"
MIB # 3732
Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
No, not at all. Just checking, as I'm new to this ability-building thing.

Now, the description (please help me with the writing, as I'm non-native to English):
Why should it affect BL, it doesn't reduce ST.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
7thPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Why should it affect BL, it doesn't reduce ST.
And neither damage... Stupid me, thanks for pointing it!

Marcelo "7thPanzer"
MIB # 3732
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:

You are surrounded by a 3-yard radius Aura of Despair. The first time someone enters this area, he must win a Quick Contest of Will or suffer an one point reduction in HT, IQ and DX.
Unfortunately, the description doesn't quite match the write-up you've got. As it stands, what you've got is an ability that will, when you trigger it, immediately send out the wave of despair, affecting people as you described. It will then shut off - it won't follow you as you move, for example, and the line about "the first time someone enters this area" doesn't make a lot of sense, because there's no "area" to enter - just a brief flash. If you want to match the power more closely to the description, you'll need to make some changes. Basically, drop Emanation, and add the Melee Attack limitation and the Aura enhancement. Melee attack means the attack centers on you, and Aura makes it last until you switch it off.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
7thPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Unfortunately, the description doesn't quite match the write-up you've got. As it stands, what you've got is an ability that will, when you trigger it, immediately send out the wave of despair, affecting people as you described. It will then shut off - it won't follow you as you move, for example, and the line about "the first time someone enters this area" doesn't make a lot of sense, because there's no "area" to enter - just a brief flash. If you want to match the power more closely to the description, you'll need to make some changes. Basically, drop Emanation, and add the Melee Attack limitation and the Aura enhancement. Melee attack means the attack centers on you, and Aura makes it last until you switch it off.
Like what's described in GURPS Powers page 54, right? Thanks, that's exactly what I want. I'll fix it.

Marcelo "7thPanzer"
MIB # 3732
Old 06-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Mgellis

Quote:
Like what's described in GURPS Powers page 54, right? Thanks, that's exactly what I want. I'll fix it.
Except Aura has to be taken with Melee Attack, Range C, so I don't think that you can have it fill an area with a radius of three yards.

Area Effect (75% for 3 yards), Emanation (-20%), and Always On (-20% for Inconvenient) seems the way to go with this.

By the way, if you don't want to worry about the effect of range, use Malediction 3 (+200%). You start taking penalties at 200 yards, but since the power only works out to 3 yards, it is a moot point.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
Except Aura has to be taken with Melee Attack, Range C, so I don't think that you can have it fill an area with a radius of three yards.
Kromm has actually said that Area Effect is appropriate for expanding the range of an Aura. I'm afraid I can't find a specific post, but you could probably PM him for confirmation.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
DieMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis

Area Effect (75% for 3 yards), Emanation (-20%), and Always On (-20% for Inconvenient) seems the way to go with this.
My first reaction was the same, but after I looked it up in the books I realized Aura is the way to go. Area Effect gets rid of the need to touch or be touched - it just happens automatically. The area will also move with you.

Always On isn't a valid limitation since the power also has Selective Area. You can always avoid targetting your friends, or you could simply unselect the entire area so no one is affected. Always On would only disallow the binary on/off choice provided by Aura. It should be a -0% limitation, -5% at best.

Tags
aura with area effect