Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
swarmyard

Default GURPS 4e Ogre

I was wanting to build an Ogre similar to the shapeshifter from the Puss in Boots story, but wasn't quite sure if I should work the shapeshifting as the Morph advantage or a series of Alternate forms. Any suggestions?
swarmyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS 4e Ogre

I think your typical fairy-tale shape-changing magician can choose forms freely enough that Morph is the only reasonable approach. Alternate forms are only really suitable for small lists of forms.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmyard View Post
I was wanting to build an Ogre similar to the shapeshifter from the Puss in Boots story, but wasn't quite sure if I should work the shapeshifting as the Morph advantage or a series of Alternate forms. Any suggestions?
Well, the ogre in the story is only seen taking a couple of forms (the version I found only mentions a lion and a mouse), but I think the intent of the story is that the ogre is actually supposed to be quite an accomplished shapeshifter, and they don't mention more just for brevity's sake. So I'd probably go with Morph. The story doesn't mention being able to transform into anything besides animals, though, so that's probably worth a limitation. I'd call "Animals Only" a -20% limitation on Morph. So, as long as you want the ogre to be able to turn into 6 or more different animals, Morph with Animals Only ends up cheaper than buying multiple Alternate Forms.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Rolando

You will also need something that prohibits the ogre from changing during combat or the cat will be unable to hold the ogre in mouse shape for long.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
You will also need something that prohibits the ogre from changing during combat or the cat will be unable to hold the ogre in mouse shape for long.
Shapeshifting via Alternate Forms or Morph takes 10 seconds of Concentration without enhancements.
As for Morph vs. AF the math typically works out that more than 7 alternate Forms its cheaper to go with Morph, (105 vs. 100 but the discount with AF can change the breakpoint).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 02-07-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As for Morph vs. AF the math typically works out that more than 7 alternate Forms its cheaper to go with Morph, (105 vs. 100 but the discount with AF can change the breakpoint).
This is true, but my math above was assuming cheaper Morph, because of the Animals Only limitation. Since that limitation would apply to Morph, but not Alternate Form, I figured it was more relevant for the comparison.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
David Johansen

Great! Now I want to build a superhero who turns into an OGRE! At least the no arms and size modifier will help to keep the costs down. How many points for tactical nukes I wonder...
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
This is true, but my math above was assuming cheaper Morph, because of the Animals Only limitation. Since that limitation would apply to Morph, but not Alternate Form, I figured it was more relevant for the comparison.
Yeah, in a few cases it might be cheaper for 6 or even 5 forms, I just wanted to throw out the the typical case I have found when designing my builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Great! Now I want to build a superhero who turns into an OGRE! At least the no arms and size modifier will help to keep the costs down. How many points for tactical nukes I wonder...
Yeah, thats what I first thought the thread was about from the title.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote