Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #21
Mister Ed

Default Re: LEGO Car Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think you will find a single example of something that looks like a specific contemporary firearm as a LEGO Group product.
"No specific contemporary firearms" seems like a different thing than "no realistic guns". LEGO makes plenty of guns that are clearly recognizable as such, even if they aren't detailed in a way as to be specifically tied to a certain firearm.

Here's a link to a listing for an official LEGO minifig with what sure look like more modern guns. (And they have definitely had six-shooters, rifles, and tommyguns.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-DC-B...Guns/125168689

and here's the page from Brinklink's weapon catalog that has most of the guns they made.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogLis...g=19&catType=P

Now I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they don't have guns in any of the "City" sets, even when they include police. And the only LEGO set I recall with anything approaching modern military minifigs (though there are a few examples of period soldiers) was the "Army Men" set from the Toy Story theme (not exactly realistic).

https://img.bricklink.com/ItemImage/SL/7595-1.png

Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-15-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Well I stand corrected. Was this a change in policy, or did I just imagine they had a rule like this?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #23
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well I stand corrected. Was this a change in policy, or did I just imagine they had a rule like this?
I think the more modern guns (anything aside from six-shooters or flintlocks, which have been around for ages in various non-licensed themes) showed up along with the proliferation of licensed themes.

I do think they have avoided making any strictly military THEMES. And I think that LEGO City Police are armed pretty exclusively with handcuffs rather than guns (though I suppose I may have missed something).

EDIT: A search turned up this example of an official statement of their policy:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ind...apons-in-lego/

however, that was posted in 2011, and there have been an awful lot of things in licensed sets that seem a bit at odds with that, so I'm not sure, even then, how strict a policy that really was. It seems clear that they aren't likely to make a set of a real-world tank anytime soon (I don't think they even did that for the Indy line), but there seems to be an awful lot of conflict inherent in various LEGO themes (though I suppose one could quibble over whether it is "glorified").

Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-15-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #24
swordtart

Way back int he 70 when I first started out with LEGO all bricks were primary colours but green was specifically excluded (other than for baseboards and trees). There was no brown either. This was apparently in an attempt to stop children from making "war toys" with them (a very 70's concept in itself). It didn't stop us, we just made tanks that were red or white instead. A bigger issue was that pretty much all LEGO was square. Every vehicle ended up looking like a Volvo.

The original Lego Knights didn't have armour, just blue outfits and a tabard. They did have swords and poleaxes but the swords were rounded and lego people cant wield axes two handed so the poleaxe was evidently purely ceremonial. They didn't have any opponents and the only conflict was in the joust set.

The along came the forest people with their bows and arrows and suddenly there was an arms race. Black nights appeared and there was a tangible enemy. Then factions. Then fright nights. Then orc and undead. Now we have Nexo Knights who seem to spend all their time in combat..

I fear that the modern LEGO corporation is more in tune with cash flow than high ethical stances. It's probably not their fault, if you are a small company you can do as you wish and if it affects profits then it is your choice. As you grow into a huge industry (and get group added to your name) you have shareholders to satisfy, you become the target of pressure groups etc. etc. To feed that cash flow you tie into franchises and those franchises often come with ethical baggage.

LEGO has had some success in reconstructing those franchises into uniquely LEGO variants (LEGO Batman for example) and has an opportunity to feed off the popularity but also manage the ethical content.

There is also the fact that there are plenty of rival brick manufacturers now. LEGO having a stance won't stop others from filling the void (Megabloks had unashamedly military models). Once that happens, is LEGO Group taking a moral stance going to make any tangible difference other than eroding their market share (meaning they have a smaller platform to espouse an ethical stance).

All the above notwithstanding, whether or not LEGO makes guns, guns will be made with LEGO. If the world were to universally embrace this wholeheartedly and all guns were made only from LEGO, the world would be a happy, primary coloured place again.

Last edited by swordtart; 11-16-2017 at 10:03 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #25
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
BrickArms, a company in Redmond, WA, has items that would be useful for LEGO Car Wars games.

BrickArms
http://brickarms.com/index.php

Fantasy sets of LEGO have flames and melee weapons such as swords. The melee weapons could be helpful during Mad Max types of games.
Those are awesome!!!!!! have to see if they scale well with matchbox...
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
The amount of guns on some of the Legoland Classic Space range were boarding on the ridiculous at times - especially after 1981 .

I'll find some links , but you'll instantly see the sudden shift from the almost unarmed 'Galaxy Cruiser' set 928 ( in UK ) & the modular 'Galaxy Explorer' from 1982/83 bristled with Lasers .

I suppose that the various 'hand guns' could be passed off as tools , but to us they were always 'Blasters', 'Disintegrators' , 'Lazookas' and 'Wave Decimators' . There were enough actual tools to cover all bases & the lack of names & only code numbers for ordering them was seen as a joke .
only a matter of time before Uncle Al has a "Lazooka" for all your autoduelling needs...
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #27
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
only a matter of time before Uncle Al has a "Lazooka" for all your autoduelling needs...
The "L-LAW" and "L-VLAW" don't count? :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #28
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I think the more modern guns (anything aside from six-shooters or flintlocks, which have been around for ages in various non-licensed themes) showed up along with the proliferation of licensed themes.

I do think they have avoided making any strictly military THEMES. And I think that LEGO City Police are armed pretty exclusively with handcuffs rather than guns (though I suppose I may have missed something).

EDIT: A search turned up this example of an official statement of their policy:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ind...apons-in-lego/

however, that was posted in 2011, and there have been an awful lot of things in licensed sets that seem a bit at odds with that, so I'm not sure, even then, how strict a policy that really was. It seems clear that they aren't likely to make a set of a real-world tank anytime soon (I don't think they even did that for the Indy line), but there seems to be an awful lot of conflict inherent in various LEGO themes (though I suppose one could quibble over whether it is "glorified").
The Lego City Undercover videogames have the main character armed with a firearm.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #29
schoon

Hi Folks,

Still a work in progress, but I wanted to do a big rig in the same style as the Speed Champions cars. Here's my result thus far:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...psalgrnuyj.png

Eventually I'll get to a trailer too...
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
schoon

Ran the game at Endgame Oakland this weekend, and much fun was had by all!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...pszcaptze4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...psbfhb4n8j.jpg

An epic moment where a motorcycle jumped over a dune buggy that was partially under the big rig tractor due to a ram-mine interaction ;)
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote