Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Blazinjsin

Default elected guild leader

Does Elected Guild Leader trigger automatically when youkici in a door and get it like a curse, or does it go to your hand? Also if it's in my hand can I play it on someone else?
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Brandonson112

Default Re: elected guild leader

I believe it goes into your hand, and no you can't play it on someone else.

Last edited by Brandonson112; 11-09-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Corrections
Brandonson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Clipper

It does go into your hand, but you actually cant play it on someone else. It would only have those effects if it were a Curse, which it is not. Regular Door cards can only be played on yourself unless the card or a rule says otherwise. MunchkinMan agreed with this observation in this post.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Mister Ed

Did someone with design insight ever chime in? Because as ruled, it seems a pretty worthless card to me (in addition to being ironic, in that you can only "elect" yourself), and I'm curious about what the design intent was. I expect I'm likely missing something about the strategy involved. It just seems a very poor risk to play on yourself.

That's definitely the ruling, though, so at the moment, I use the card as discard fodder.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Did someone with design insight ever chime in? Because as ruled, it seems a pretty worthless card to me (in addition to being ironic, in that you can only "elect" yourself), and I'm curious about what the design intent was. I expect I'm likely missing something about the strategy involved. It just seems a very poor risk to play on yourself.

That's definitely the ruling, though, so at the moment, I use the card as discard fodder.
The only time I've ever gotten it, I used it. And it was a very good decision because I was getting treasures galore. So in the future, I will probably use it every time I get it unless everybody is super weak and constantly losing. My play group normally has someone that will offer to help the main player just because everyone likes getting treasures.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Mister Ed

Wierd. In our games early on people are losing because they aren't strong enough yet, and later on people are losing because everybody is HELPING them lose. They don't lose all the time, but enough that losing a level every time ANYBODY loses a combat is not really worth the extra treasure at all. I don't often find myself with a severe shortage of treasure (especially with the fast play rules, which we always use), but I sometimes find myself with a shortage of opportunities to level up, so losing levels for every lost combat by everybody would be kind of a nightmare.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

If you play the card on yourself, well, you will be more likely to try to make sure people succeed when it is going to benefit you. There are other methods of play beyond prevent your neighbor from winning every single time, and this card facilitates and rewards a different form of play. Obviously, playing it when it is unlikely that it will benefit you does not make sense.

I'll try to find out if there was a more nefarious intent (i.e., it should/can be played on someone else).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Enzzo

At our table, we've always played it as, you can play it on anyone you choose, and if you kick down the door and reveal it, you don't have to play it on yourself. However, it is usually beneficial to be Guild Leader, at least until everyone is level 9, so generally people do play it on themselves.

So I'd also be interested to know if that's actually a legal play :)
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Mister Ed

Under the ruling we currently have, you don't have to play it on yourself if you kick down the door and find it, but the only person you may play it on IS yourself, if you so choose.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Rev1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Under the ruling we currently have, you don't have to play it on yourself if you kick down the door and find it, but the only person you may play it on IS yourself, if you so choose.
That's what I've always done with it too. It could be fun to play it on someone but that doesn't seem to be the way the card was written.
Rev1L is offline   Reply With Quote