Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
kentreuber

Default Dihad/Darok status?

There were a couple of campaign books published for TFT: "Forest-Lords of Dihad" and "Warrior-Lords of Darok". Does anyone know the status of the copyrights for these? "Dihad" was published by GameLords rather than Metagaming.
kentreuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Dihad/Darok status?

Steve Jackson ONLY owns rights to the stuff he personally wrote -- so you won't see these unless the author reaquires the rights (and since copies are still being sold, I'm not sure those rules even apply). Last time I checked (which was several years ago), you could still get copies of this from Different Worlds/Gamelords.

Okay, just checked, it looks like you can still get Dihad, but Darok is no longer available. (though you should check out Wayne's Books, Powells Books, Noble Knight, E-Bay, Amazon, and ABE if you want a copy). If you DO go to the web page, click on Thieves Guild too -- you might be able to get the two city-state books from there still (I didn't check). All they need is some sticky notes changing them back into TFT from Thieves Guild rules and you have the two capital cities too...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

In addition to being incomplete - only 2 of the 4 modules in this proposed Land Beyond The Mountains series were printed - some folks do not consider the existing Dihad and Darok pieces legitimate parts of the TFT Canon.

However, like so many things about TFT, the choice is always left up to you.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
The Wyzard

I got a copy of Dihad somewhere around here.

It has the problem that I think a lot of TFT modules have, which is, shall we say, a lack of clear guidance about what level characters it is appropriate for. I read it and was immediately struck by the fact that a whole lot of it would be over-elaborate suicide for starting characters.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
JLV

I think the thing that annoyed me the most about both Dihad and Darok was the overly cute names that they used. It not only was jarring, but it demonstrated a lack of creativity to me. Very disappointing.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
larsdangly

I've got all four of these in original hard copies ('completism' is a disease...). Honestly, they are not worth the investment to revive. I'd much rather see something cool and new.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
JLV

As a person who also took the time (and expense) to track these down in hard copy, I have to whole-heartedly agree with Lars on this.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I've got all four of these in original hard copies ('completism' is a disease...). Honestly, they are not worth the investment to revive. I'd much rather see something cool and new.
Lars, how do you mean? Are you saying after 1982 Gamelords (or someone) published modules for the lands of Soukar, and Muipoco after Metagaming went out of business?

JK
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
JLV

Yes Jim, Gamelords converted them from TFT to Thieves World rules and published them pretty much as was. They kind of did a lousy job of conversion in some ways; for instance, a "pet monkey" that one of the NPCs has in one of the city books is elsewhere listed as a "slinker!"

They're both still for sale ($6.95 each) over on the Different Worlds/Gamelords site (go here to find them, and scroll down to "City of the Sacred Flame" and "Within the Tyrant's Demesne") if you're interested. You'll note you can get the Free City of Haven over on that site too, which used to be a benchmark for city modules for a while...

(I mistakenly told someone it was under the Thieves' World menu selection earlier -- it's not, it's under the Haven menu listing...my apologies to whoever I steered wrong!)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
Jim Kane
Banned

Okay Jeff, but I must be having a bad day, I have written the words "I'm confused" about 5 times today on various posts LOL!. Are you telling me that Gamelords bothered to not only convert the TFT Dihad and Darok modules, but went and wrote the other 2 modules for Soukar, and Muipoco too???

JK