Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #141
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Strength (ST) in high TL settings - Pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Part of the problem with ST in high/ultra tech is that UT weapons and armor tend to be designed with a somewhat average ST in mind. A stronger person can carry bigger weapons and wear heavier armor, but not if those things aren't on the equipment table.
There's plenty of weapons for people up to ST20. And a lot of those weapons really tax your carry limit. A 70lb weapon weights 10 times the personal weapon for a ST10 man, but you only carry 4 times as much weight. And your ammunition usually gets a bit more inefficient, weighing more per shot than "regular" weapons.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #142
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Also, you say "It sounds like Dungeon Fantasy in Space!" as if that is 1) not a valid style of play, and 2) as if people don't play games that are like that.
Not at all. I've played most every genre and most different RPG systems at one time or another, and usually enjoyed it.

My comment was more to clarify what you I thought you were describing which itself is a somewhat narrow slice of merc adventuring.

Quote:
EDIT: And my recollection of Star Frontiers games from back in the day was that encumbrance wasn't a huge issue because there wasn't that much gear in the game to carry.
There was usually enough gear worth carrying in SF, it just didn't really require any particular ST to use and the weight allowance was fairly generous.

Last edited by naloth; 12-11-2018 at 11:04 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #143
whswhs

As a further note, I was just glancing over GURPS Blue Planet, and I came up with a different solution there: You build your character as a normal member of some race, on a normal point budget; then you can invest money (from starting wealth, points for cash, and in 4/e perhaps Signature Gear) in buying biomods at the market price. You then get as many added points as needed to cover the biomods. No attempt is made to fit all PCs into the same point budget.

Would this do anything to address people's concerns about pricing of traits?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #144
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
As a further note, I was just glancing over GURPS Blue Planet, and I came up with a different solution there: You build your character as a normal member of some race, on a normal point budget; then you can invest money (from starting wealth, points for cash, and in 4/e perhaps Signature Gear) in buying biomods at the market price. You then get as many added points as needed to cover the biomods. No attempt is made to fit all PCs into the same point budget.

It would seem to move the concern over from point balance to dollar cost/benefit balance.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #145
Flyndaran
Untagged

That method sounds a bit like Shadowrun to me.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #146
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That method sounds a bit like Shadowrun to me.
I suppose it could be. I've played Shadowrun once or twice, but never become familiar with the system. I came up with it for GURPS Blue Planet as a way to allow diverse characters.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #147
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's been many years and likely a few editions since I played.
Good ideas are often invented more than once, so I didn't mean to sound critical.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #148
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's been many years and likely a few editions since I played.
Good ideas are often invented more than once, so I didn't mean to sound critical.
You didn't, and you totally did not offend me.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #149
AlexanderHowl

Shadowrun has Essence as a game balance mechanism that discourages excessive augmentation and Resources effectively cost CP. In the latter case, you could require characters to buy augmentation only with Signature Gear (as a balance between purchasing with money and purchasing with CP). In the former case, you could have characters suffer a 10 CP vulnerability or weakness for every 50 CP of traits gained through augmentations, representing the strain to their biological systems. For digital intelligencs, the vulnerabilities and weaknesses would represent errors in their coding caused by incompatibles with the fundamental software of their shells, so the vulnerabilities and weaknesses would be associated with the shells rather than the digital intelligences.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #150
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

I mentioned earlier that I use a scheme somewhat like this, where Ultra-tech races with abilities that can be replicated by gear (including but not limited to ST) are charged a much lower cost for the whole package, but raising ST was its own cost.

I do think that method (including the biomods points for cash approach) does get rid of the most egregious cases. I still think UT strength should be lower, but then again, I lower the cost of ST for most games I play.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote