Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
westin

Default I'm a n00b, I need some help!

Hey, just bought Munckin a week ago after constantly hearing about it on the Internet. I just played it with a couple of buddies (all first-timers) tonight and we had a pretty good time. We just had to take some time learning the rules, and kinda inferring our own. That's why I want to check with you guys for some clarification.

There was a lot of debate as to what could be on the table sideways. I thought it was just items. Items are classified as something with a gold value, right? Anything else (such as monsters, classes, races, curses, ect) can't be on the table sideways, correct? Those things must be held in your hand, and you can only have 5 cards in your hand unless your class (or race, I forget which one) allows you to have 6. Right?

Thanks for help you guys! Once we play again tomorrow I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions... I'll post them on is thread.

-westin
westin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: I'm a n00b, I need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westin View Post
There was a lot of debate as to what could be on the table sideways. I thought it was just items. Items are classified as something with a gold value, right?
Yes, if it has a listed Gold Piece value (even if that value is "No Value"), it's considered an Item. Items that you are carrying can certainly be turned sideways to signify that they are being carried and not "equipped."

Quote:
Anything else (such as monsters, classes, races, curses, ect) can't be on the table sideways, correct?
Races & Classes are certainly kept on the table if you are currently using them! Unused ones remain in your hand, unless you can nab Half-Breed or Super Munchkin to put more down. Curses & Monsters stay in your hand until you find a way to use them.

Quote:
Those things must be held in your hand, and you can only have 5 cards in your hand unless your class (or race, I forget which one) allows you to have 6. Right?
You can actually have any number of cards in your hand... until it's the end of your turn. At that point, you'll have to give Charity unless you can manage to legally get rid of as many cards as you can. If you get more than 5 cards out of turn, you don't have to get rid of any. Only at the end of your turn is it a restriction.

Glad to help. :) Keep in mind to look out for posts by Andrew Hackard or MunchkinMan. They are the helpful mods and their words carry all the weight!
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
westin

Oh, thanks! I have another question now if you don't mind me asking...

The Theif has the ability to discard a card to try and steal an item from another play by rolling the dice. Can this be on any item the other character has, equipped or face-up on the table, at any time during anyone's turn, as many times as the theif wants to discard. So he can discard 4 card and attempt to steal 4 times, either succeeding some times or failing some times?

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
SmokeRulz

Quote:
The Theif has the ability to discard a card to try and steal an item from another play by rolling the dice. Can this be on any item the other character has, equipped or face-up on the table, at any time during anyone's turn, as many times as the theif wants to discard. So he can discard 4 card and attempt to steal 4 times, either succeeding some times or failing some times?
It can be any item they have out in play, as long as it's a SMALL item. Any item that does not say "Big" on it is considered small. And yes, he can attempt to steal as often as he's willing to sacrifice cards for, but note that there is a combat restriction. He can't steal if he is currently in combat, nor can he steal from someone while THEY are in combat.

Thief questions are actually covered in the site FAQ. I'd recommend giving this big ol' page a read, you should learn a whole lot: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/faq/
Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
westin

Wow, thanks again for the super quick reply; you're super helpful. I have two more questions :D

I was playing a game today and used the "Curse! Change Sex" card on another player during my turn. This card makes him change his sex and also "-5 to next combat." It was his turn next, he drew "Level 16 Wight Brothers" who "Will not persue anyone of level 3 or below."

He was a level two. Now here is first question: if you encounter an enemy that will not "persue" you, is that the same as "fight" you? Also, what do you do in an occurrence like this? We have been playing it is as if we just made a successful flee and it would be the next persons turn. Is this correct?

Now, second question. If you encounter an enemy that "will not persue anyone of Level # or below" or "will not fight anyone of Level # or below" (and you just discard the card and then it becomes the next player's turn) does that count as combat? Are cards now discarded that say "(something bad/good will happen) on your next combat" ?

My buddy said that the "Curse! Change Sex" penalty of "-5 on your next combat" just applied to the "Level 16 Wight Brothers" who "Will not persue anyone of level 3 or below" and he discarded both cards. I tried to fight him on it, but he insisted that it counted as combat.

I am consulting you because I want to know if he was cheating :D

Thanks once more!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Your friend was correct. When a player faces a Monster, he has been in combat, even if the Monster won't fight him.

As for specific issues: A monster that won't pursue means that it won't chase you if you have to Run Away. You still have to fight the Monster, but you won't suffer Bad Stuff from a Monster that won't pursue you. A Monster that won't fight, however, will leave the combat.

Finally: Unless you die, combat ending does not automatically end your turn, even if you lose that combat. You're still allowed to do any turn related actions before you decide to end your turn.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
whassumattuh

Default Wight Brothers clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
As for specific issues: A monster that won't pursue means that it won't chase you if you have to Run Away. You still have to fight the Monster, but you won't suffer Bad Stuff from a Monster that won't pursue you. A Monster that won't fight, however, will leave the combat.
Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but I just want to be absolutely certain. If I am fighting the Wight Brothers and I can not defeat them but they won't pursue me because I am on a lower level, do I still have to lose two levels? It seems to me that I would lose two levels because I'm still Running Away successfully. Thanks!
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
SmokeRulz

Default Re: Wight Brothers clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but I just want to be absolutely certain. If I am fighting the Wight Brothers and I can not defeat them but they won't pursue me because I am on a lower level, do I still have to lose two levels? It seems to me that I would lose two levels because I'm still Running Away successfully. Thanks!
Yeah, you do. They knock out two levels if you're forced to Run Away, regardless of whether you escape or not. Even though they weren't pursuing you, you still escaped.

Last edited by SmokeRulz; 04-18-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
natesroom

One way to determine that is: Is it listed as bad stuff? Bad stuff only happens if you UNsuccesfully run away (unless stated otherwise)

So yes you lose 2

Edit: posted same time Smoke Did
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Signboy

Against the Wight Bros. - do you still lose the 2 levels if you defeat them?

Tags
combat, items