Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Belisar

Default GURPS material used with GURPS Lite

One of my groups might want to start with GURPS Lite instead of the Basic Set but also wants to play in the Banestorm setting. This shouldn't pose a problem as GURPS Lite is already identical to the Basic Set. Only the number of choices for Advantages, Disadvantages and skills is way smaller (and there is no VH for skills). Or do I oversee something?

Last edited by Belisar; 02-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: GURPS material used with GURPS Lite

That's a reasonably good description. Lite is just a minimal core subset of the rules*, perfectly playable as it is, and a good place to start with GURPS. Introduce new rules as you get more confidence and want to use them. (Maybe a character concept could use an Advantage that's not in Lite, or a player is keen on detailed combat options or hit locations.)

If you're using Banestorm, then you might occasionally get pushed to introduce some rules that are needed for one of those creatures or NPCs or situations. You also have the option of just ignoring those abilities, but of course that weakens that creature.

--
* As opposed to, say, GURPS Ultra-Lite, which uses different mechanics. Very rules light, yes, but not really on the path to learning the full rules.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Mr_Sandman

The big thing that will be missing, if you are using GURP Lite for 4th edition, will be magic. You can mostly substitute the magic rules from 3 edition Lite (except for one spell that grants Passive Defense, a concept removed from 4th edition), or use Magic from the Basic Set.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
namada

GURPS Lite is essentially GURPS, but without the functionality or flexibility of the actual system, so, what's the point? If you're going to use it, do so, but allow the full range of traits from the Basic Set too. That lightens the rules a bit, but doesn't make the system pointlessly mundane, like Lite does.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
zedlopez

Note that Intimidation has IQ as its Controlling Attribute in Lite, not Will.

Very Hard difficulty not existing doesn't matter much 'cause I think the only skills it mentions that are normally VH are Biology and Physics.

Some things that are omitted might cause a little confusion. It tells us that with any maneuver that allows a step, you can change posture between kneeling and standing instead of moving... but it never tells you which maneuvers allow a step or that the movement a step allows is 1 yard (actually Basic Move/10, rounded up, so with BM > 10, it's more).
zedlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedlopez View Post
Some things that are omitted might cause a little confusion. It tells us that with any maneuver that allows a step, you can change posture between kneeling and standing instead of moving... but it never tells you which maneuvers allow a step or that the movement a step allows is 1 yard (actually Basic Move/10, rounded up, so with BM > 10, it's more).
For that I strongly recommend using GURPS Combat Cards and Combat Maneuvers and Posture Cheat Sheet*.

* Onkl has one, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over complicated for someone using Lite. I have one, but I have no idea anymore where I got it, it's a single page.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote