Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
jeffrockson

Default Kneedpads of Allure & Floating Nose

Last night I got a quick start ahead of the other players and was level 5 when they were each level 1 or 2. To punish my luck, the owner of the Kneepads of Allure compelled me to join a fight with him against the Floating Nose. I stood to lose 3 levels, and he was already level 1 and would suffer no Bad Stuff.

He compelled me, and I let everyone think I was going to lose. Then I sold an item for the 200 (or whatever) gold pieces to bribe the Floating Nose. We discussed it for easily ten minutes. Here's what we came up with:

1) We know that I was unable to choose to flee by myself, since I was a helper and it's not my choice to end combat.

2) We also know that, were I a wizard, I could have charmed it to end combat. The similarity between ending by charming (discarding hand) and ending by bribing (discarding an item) was debated.

3) We figured that, since I couldn't choose to flee, I also couldn't choose to ignore the Stoned Golem in a similar situation. Consider that I'm with my friend in front of the Golem; I'd like to go (but am compelled to stay), but he whacks it on the nose. (The thread with that is unresolved.)

4) If there is a female in combat, the Amazon would not fight the male only, it would leave combat altogether. The same goes for the Spiked Codpiece and the Psycho Squirrels, a Thief and a Lawyer, etc. So if I bribe the floating nose, it should count for both of us.

In the end, we decided I was not allowed to choose to bribe it. I rolled a 1 to Run Away and was never again the highest level for the rest of the game (ouch). Was our decision consistent with the intent behind the Kneepads of Allure?

Sorry if the statements above are more confusing than helpful. They're meant to be helpful and to provide examples for this discussion to work from!

Thanks for reading,

JeffRockson
Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
StaticHamster

Default Re: Kneedpads of Allure & Floating Nose

The Kneepads only force you into the Combat.

Once you are part of the combat (even though you are not the main combatant) I see no reason why you should be able to Bribe the Nose.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticHamster View Post
Once you are part of the combat (even though you are not the main combatant) I see no reason why you should be able to Bribe the Nose.
I assume Hamster means he sees no reason why you should NOT be able to Bribe the Nose.

The only reason I see why the helper should not be able to bribe the Nose against the wishes of the main combatant is that MunchkinMan says he can't, here.

Last edited by Kirt; 02-10-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
JediSurvivor

If my group had been playing, I'd have tried to rule that once the Nose is bribed, he becomes a friendly monster and will not fight, thus ending the combat. Yet another reminder to think it through before forcing someone to help you!

1) The choice of whether to flee is only made when it's determined that the Munchkin(s) cannot defeat the monster. If you can't beat it, you have to flee. Simple.

2) Seems like a dead-on similarity to me.

3) I think your character would make the common-sense judgment for you. If you can't win a combat against the Golem, you would automatically walk away (unless you're a Gnome/Halfling).

4) Right, it would count for both of you in each of those cases.

Sounds like you had a good Munchkinly debate with your friends (always fun!), but I think you took that penalty needlessly. Sorry! Hope this helps for next time.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The Kneepads issue is irrelevant to the larger question: can a helper bribe the Floating Nose? I don't think the issue is clear-cut, and I'm going to put this on the list of things I need to discuss with Steve and Erik when I get back from New York Toy Fair at the end of next week.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
JediSurvivor

With all due respect, I think the issue IS clear-cut. Consider that a monster that gets +5 against Elves will get that bonus whether the Helper OR the "main" fighter is an Elf. That strongly suggests that any modifying text on a monster card is directed toward all Munchkins fighting that monster.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSurvivor View Post
With all due respect, I think the issue IS clear-cut.
I don't think that a bonus in combat is equivalent to an action that can actually end the combat. Recall that the helper can't decide to Run Away against the wishes of the main player.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
JediSurvivor

The helper may not be able to run, but there are a bunch of ways that the helper could otherwise end combat against his partner's will. Examples include the Wizard's Charm, Friendship Potion, etc.

My take is that any monster attribute applies to both cooperating Munchkins. Both players risk getting the same Bad Stuff if they fail their escape roll. If a monster is vulnerable to flame, EITHER player's fire item(s) would qualify as an added bonus. As such, and given my point in the above paragraph, any option for ending a combat (besides running away) is extended to both partners.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

In the interest of not further muddying the waters, I'm going to close the thread until I get back from Toy Fair and have time to take this up with Erik and Steve.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

I would say that unless Steve has a more compelling argument than I do, we stick with this placeholder ruling: The helper can not bribe the Floating Nose because the actual words on the card read as an instruction on how to choose not to fight the Floating Nose, a choice a helper can not make. Other cards (Wizard, for example) aren't quite so strictly worded, so yes, a Wizard helper can charm, but he can't offer up some loot to the Floating Nose.

I think I'm already too late to offer up an, "Enjoy Toy Fair!" to Andrew.
MiB #1029
Closed Thread

Tags
floating nose, helper, kneepads of allure