Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #31
Magesmiley

Default Re: Gencon 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
There's definitely not enough room to play at the Tavern, I'm sorry to say.
Scratch the Tavern then. Any idea if the powers that be will let us play in Hall C in the SJG area? (I shot an email to MiB Control, but he's out and headed to the convention and will have spotty email).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #32
Parody

The chunk of Hall C where SJG's gaming events are located are probably set up with single-width tables, rather than the double-width you might prefer for a miniatures game. (They're grouped in the row with board and card games, rather than the one closer to the front that has miniatures.)

Normally the HQ will give you a table in the colored sections that independents and open gaming use.

Last edited by Parody; 08-14-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #33
Magesmiley

I'm packed and my wife is picking me up after work to head to the airport.

I packed about a dozen 1" miniatures, an assortment of counters, some extra designs, a blue Compendium, a reference screen, dice, tap measure, and a few play aids we use. Plus a USB stick of W23 downloads. :)

For arenas, I brought the arena book maps (Double Drum, Hammer Downs, New Boston), Armadillo, KEAR Coliseum/Warrior Stadium (and whatever is on the back of it), and the Rainbow Bay Blast Furnace. If you've got a favorite speak up.

Bring a division 20 arena-legal vehicle with you. We didn't pick skill points, so 30 point characters seems right.

Let's plan on meeting in the SJG area in Hall C. 8:15 p.m. on Saturday. We can figure out a specific spot to play from there. If we've got more than 8 players, we'll muddle something through with one of the maps. :)

And feel free to PM with contact info.

One thing that I didn't bring which would be handy is some blue tack. If someone not flying can bring some, that would be handy.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #34
jimmylogan

I'm going to make this easier... :-) Here's my cell number -

731-345-9229

I don't normally answer out of town calls, so text is preferred. :-)

As before, I may or may not be available at that time, but I am bringing my classic box as well as Arenas 1 & 2. I have a friend that wants to play as well...
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #35
Magesmiley

And, i am here now.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #36
kjamma4

Back home from GenCon, another great time was had.

Saturday night's CW game was a blast with major amounts of carnage. Head on collisions, spin outs, vehicular fires - everything you'd expect from Car Wars!!!

It was great to meet Magesmiley and his wife (and thanks to them for bringing their stuff and running the game) as well as jimmylogan - all great people. Within ten minutes we were laughing and enjoying the game - we could have been back in the eighties (if you ignored the reading glasses, extra "cargo" carried, and the gray hair)!!!

2018? :)
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #37
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Back home from GenCon, another great time was had.

Saturday night's CW game was a blast with major amounts of carnage. Head on collisions, spin outs, vehicular fires - everything you'd expect from Car Wars!!!
Agreed!!! Was SO so much fun! I've been playing X-Wing the last few years and have really gotten turned OFF with competitive play, but getting more and more into casual play. This game of Car Wars had ALL that! Lots of fun ALL around the table! I scored a kill, but I didn't care when *I* was later killed! It was FUN - everyone was involved on every die roll - everything I want in x-wing. :-)

Quote:
It was great to meet Magesmiley and his wife (and thanks to them for bringing their stuff and running the game) as well as jimmylogan - all great people. Within ten minutes we were laughing and enjoying the game - we could have been back in the eighties (if you ignored the reading glasses, extra "cargo" carried, and the gray hair)!!!

2018? :)
LOL - yeah, nice way of putting that. :-)

I won't be able to make 2018, sadly. My wife and I work for a public school and next year it falls on the first two days of school. :-(
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #38
JimTullis

Massive thanks to MageSmiley, for both a great Game of Car Wars and entertainment while in line for SJ signing at the tavern.

It was good to put a face to a name. I know we don't agree on some topics, but I was glad to meet up. Hope you felt the same.

And the Car Wars game was excellent, even though I double fishtailed into the column. I still got backed up and turned around for some more carnage. I had a great time.

Looking forward to 2018. Hope to see 6th ed. But if not, will gladly play Classic.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #39
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
but I was glad to meet up. Hope you felt the same.
Sorry Jim, I forgot to send a shout out to you too.

Yes, I had a great time.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #40
Magesmiley

Just got home today. I followed GenCon with a few days to visit my brother in Nashville. (And have a convention starting in two days as well!)

Thanks to everyone for stopping by to play - Kurt, both Jimmys and your compatriots. The game was a blast. Also a thanks to Ben from SJG for stopping by for a bit too. Wear your kill stickers proudly. :)

I'm not sure on 2018 yet myself. I'll have to wait and see if I can manage it next year.